first time 331 build

rademf64

Jun 5, 2019
weedsport NY
Hi im new to the forum and had a few questions to run buy everyone about building my first 331 stroker for my 93 LX. basic combo questions? was thinking of going with Creb enginnerings 331 short block it comes with forged SRP/JE flat top pistons and a Scat 5140 cast/steel 28oz crank with a 3.250in stroke. the rods are 5.400 floated style SIR. i was thinking about putting the Twisted wedge 170cc cylinder heads, Holley systemax intake, anderson n-41 or n-61 cam 30lb injectors 75mm TB and a Pro M mass air. I know it will need a walbro 255 fuel pump and mac 1 5/8 long tubes. I'm sure that this topic has been beat to death but any insight would be much appreciated. trying to build a higher revving street driven 331 6200-6500 rpm. thanks. im aslo aware of the other parts i will need 1.6 roller rockers lifters etc.

• Sponsors (?)

Never heard of that company. My short block is similar. It's a stock block machined locally. I put the engine together using a Coast High prebalanced Scat rotating assembly. It has a scat 9000 cast crank, scat 4340 I beam rods, and probe srs pistons. The bottom end was assembled with arp studs and all clearances were checked by me.

Heads are AFR 185's with FTI spec'ed springs and one of their custom hydraulic rollers. I also run a Holley Systemax with an Accufab 70mm throttle body. The combo revs cleanly to 6500 and goes 11.7x on a decent track naturally aspirated.

My recommendations:

Go with a well known, well respected builder for the shorrblock.

Buy the best heads you can afford. The 170's are decent, but a set of the 20511r's would be much better.

Any off the shelf cam spec'd for a 302 is going to make power lower in a 331. The n41 makes power to 6200 in a 302, probably more around 5800 in a 331. The n61 or even a n71 would be a better choice if going with AFM, but obviously a custom would be the best route.

1 5/8" headers are good, but 1 3/4 are not much in price difference, do it once.

If I had it to do over, I would have at least a 205 head, 1 3/4 or bigger headers and probably sent my intake out for porting.

Just my opinions on the matter, but the parts you listed WILL make a good little motor, but you can do a little better if you like.

Joe

Okay awesome thank you for your feed back on my questions. I’m trying to get all my research done so I can start gathering up the parts for a winter time garage build. Any other tips or advice you might have for this type of combo would be much appreciated.

Okay awesome thank you for your feed back on my questions. I’m trying to get all my research done so I can start gathering up the parts for a winter time garage build. Any other tips or advice you might have for this type of combo would be much appreciated.

Plan for the little stuff, it will add up to be more than the big items some times.

-playdough to check ptv clearance
-assmebly lube if doing the engine yourself
-thread sealant for lower head bolts or studs
-right stuff for dealing the China walls on the block where the intake sits
-new water pump while its apart
-pushrods and a way to check for needed pushrod length
-all the misc. Gaskets (valve covers, timing chain, open, headers, intake, obviously head gaskets)
-injectors, pump and meter, also, if you build anything with a powerband above 6200, you will need to address how you plan to modify the tune to get past the stock 6250 rev limiter.
- specialty tools like torque wrench and micrometers, degree wheel, etc.

I am sure there are lots of other things I am missing, but make a list of everything you need to do to assemble, install and get the engine running. Then go back through that list and figure out what items you need to get those tasks done. All the small stuff will suprose you.

Good luck with it and update us when you get started.

Joe

Ranger joe. thanks for the advise and heads up on the little things.i could see where missing one small thing during the assembly process could mess up your build. thanks again. will update more as i start the money spending parts buying process.

anybody with Scat Crank problems ?? her my 3000miles 331 stroker with Scat stuff ..to much damage and need a new crank with bearings.. engine builder says it comes from, stay on the Brakes and stall engine for too long. i have a 10" 2800 Stall converter with AOD ..Converter pushes crank forward and that destroys Crank and bearing .. looks like more had the same problem .. ""common problem when there is too much pressure in the trans pump, not enough converter clearance or sitting on the break too long and loading the crank."" converter clearance not possible there is a lot...

Attachments

• 20190610_113556.jpg
    20190610_113556.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 20190610_113001.jpg
    20190610_113001.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 246