First time at the track, how'd I do?

Green&GoldGT

Aug 1, 2005
Virginia
It was only an 1/8th mile. No preparation at all for the car. Tire pressure is over 20 psi. No big burnouts. No weight reduction.

My best was 8.81 at 82 mph with a 2.11 60'.

All my 60' times were over 2 seconds. I spun alot off the line everytime, trying to go balls out. My best launches were under 3500 rpm. I tried going higher but it was just all tire spin.

There was a bolt on GT vert that ran a 9.6 and an ls1 trans am that did a 9.2

• Sponsors (?)

Try launching at 3000rpm's next time and slip the clutch. I dont know what the temp is there, but if it's like it is here, it's F'in hot. So that's not to bad. That car should definitely be somewhere in the 8.2's to 8.3's with the power you are making. MPH should be around 85 to 86mph.

what tires are you using? If its a normal street tire dropping tire pressure isnt going to help you at all...might even hurt you. But I agree you can launch at 3500 and just slip the clutch while pouring on more throttle.

As the clutch is coming off the floor the gas pedal should be moving towards the floor. so when that clutch is fully out then your right foot should be on the floor. Not bad though either way

I'm running 315/35/17 Nitto drags. I should've dropped the tire pressure some. I could see today that I was barely running the outside of the tire, the inside almost made me fail inspection today. I was hoping for a low 8. I was driving like I had slicks.

Can't wait to go back!

It's very difficult to get the perfect launch with a stick car on radials. You need a lot of rpms 5000+/- and a LOT of clutch slip. If you spin the tires, the run is blown. Practice makes perfect! With your mods on those tires, you can run a 1.7x 60'.

The Lakewood LCAs are not doing you any favors though...

Practice will help. I was running 8.8's at 78mph with around 210-215rwhp in one of my NPI cars. Lower the tire pressure to 16-18psi and see how it works. Clutch slip and 3500rpm is a good starting point.

Nittos require quite a bit of heat. Even then, they are not very predictable. You can cut a mid-high 1.6 with your setup, then the next pass, cut a mid 1.8. If you are going to run radials, BFG's are better, MT's are even better, and Hoosiers are the best.

Good luck!

My car dyno'd 240rwhp on motor and the only suspension mod's at the time were UPR lower control arms. It still had stock gears and everything. I went 8.48 at 82mph on 555R's. I lowered them down to 12psi and did an amazingly big burn out and was cutting some 1.81 60ft's. I was launching at 4000rpm and slipping the clutch. I only told you to try launching at 3k because I thought you were on street tires.

I do have a question tho, do you have a sound clip of your car?

What's wrong with the lakewoods? I think my front suspension is definately hurting my times.

Setups like that have a tendency to hit the tires and then unload.

My car dyno'd 240rwhp on motor and the only suspension mod's at the time were UPR lower control arms. It still had stock gears and everything. I went 8.48 at 82mph on 555R's. I lowered them down to 12psi and did an amazingly big burn out and was cutting some 1.81 60ft's. I was launching at 4000rpm and slipping the clutch. I only told you to try launching at 3k because I thought you were on street tires.

:nice:

I do have a question tho, do you have a sound clip of your car?

We're you on stock springs? I should've lowered the tire pressure, the outsides of my tires barely even scrubbed. I had a state inspection the day after and didn't want to fry them and fail inspection.

The only sound clip I have of it is at idle, and the quality isn't that great, but I'm sure I could get some sound clips. I forgot to mention I added on cats so I could pass inspection:nonono:.

I'll try to get some runs on video. I just have a cheap insignia camera. It's loud at high rpm, but nothing like when it had no cats and flowmasters.

I'm buying some 6 spoke v6 wheels off a 99-04 to mount some slicks. Only 14 lbs a piece.

Be careful running a bias ply tire out back with a radial up front, especially a wide radial tire. At your power, you should be seeing 108-110mph in the 1/4 mile if you go to a 1/4 track. It can be a dangerous combo on the top end.