First Time using code reader need help

89CobraGT

Dec 14, 2005
Winnipeg manitoba
I haven't had my car running in about a month it runs for a few minutes and dies quickly and idles like crap while its running.. I havent really had much time to work on it, been working alot of hours. I did manage to do most of the starts but doesnt idle checklist except the part that requires a multimeter which I also picked up yesterday anyways.. I checked the codes with the key turned on and I got :

81 O - Air diverter solenoid fault, intake air control circuit fault / air injection diverter

82 O - Air diverter solenoid circuit fault, Intigrated relay control module

85 O - Shift Solenoid 4/3 - 4/3

66 C - VAF/mass air flow sensor fault, below minimum voltage

Also I unhooked my battery and checked the volts and it slowly trickels down does this mean my battery is no good? I had 12 volts when I started this test on the battery, also do these codes mean that I probably have issues in the wiirng harness? and how do I use the Multi meter to check everything this is my first time trying to diagnose a wiring problem, Thanks for any replies!

• Sponsors (?)

I haven't had my car running in about a month it runs for a few minutes and dies quickly and idles like crap while its running.. I havent really had much time to work on it, been working alot of hours. I did manage to do most of the starts but doesnt idle checklist except the part that requires a multimeter which I also picked up yesterday anyways.. I checked the codes with the key turned on and I got :

81 O - Air diverter solenoid fault, intake air control circuit fault / air injection diverter

82 O - Air diverter solenoid circuit fault, Intigrated relay control module

85 O - Shift Solenoid 4/3 - 4/3

66 C - VAF/mass air flow sensor fault, below minimum voltage

Also I unhooked my battery and checked the volts and it slowly trickels down does this mean my battery is no good? I had 12 volts when I started this test on the battery, also do these codes mean that I probably have issues in the wiirng harness? and how do I use the Multi meter to check everything this is my first time trying to diagnose a wiring problem, Thanks for any replies!

I am geting the same codes 81 and 82 on my new 5.8l efi install. Just started reading up on these. Also getting 84 and 85 codes. The 81 and 82 sound like something to do with the idle air bypass solenoid. My engine surges at idle.

Mike

Sorry yeah i cleaned the mass air flow sensor itself i guess i didnt make it quite clear.... Im thinking its the wiring to the AIB I just don't have time to look at it. I just need the car to run once more for like 30 mins to drive it to my garage where it will sit all winter lol...

81 and 82 are the Thermactor air injection ("smog pump") circuit. It's either an electrical or vacuum problem, or something has been unplugged or removed. The bypass circuit is 82 and the diverter circuit is 81. Air is ingested by the pump and then sent to the bypass valve. The bypass valve dumps it back to the atmosphere, or sends it to the diverter valve, or both. The diverter valve sends it to the heads, or the catalytic converters, or both.

85 is the canister purge circuit. The solenoid is malfunctioning, or it's electrical connector is unplugged, or there is a vacuum leak. A rubber hose runs from the charcoal canister (which is attached to the front lower passenger-side sibframe) to a vacuum port on the underside of the upper intake manifold. The purge solenoid is inline with that rubber hose, close to the canister.

Considering your car starts and stalls quickly, and running like crap when it does stay running, you should be looking for vacuum leaks.

66 means the MAF sensor went below +0.4v within the last 80 warm-up cycles. Doesn't mean it's happeneing now.

Ohh I thought 81-82 were th eIAB Ive checked the lines going to that canistor they were all good I know I do have a vaccum leak but im pretty sure its my bbk ssi intake was machined badly and slightly warped I've always had a small leak and as the problem seemed to be getting pregessivly worse I didnt think it was that I have tried sealing thta inake with cork, cork with RTV just RTV reg gasket with/ without RTV and w / without sealer.. I also checked all of my vaccum lines and a few weeks ago I took all of the plugs and tubing out of the intake and put new teflon tape on everything... Im out of town til monday but i will take a look at that canistor agian then. Thanks for the reply sorry for the bad grammer/spelling im on a crapyy computer and the monitor is all effed.