Flaming River FR1508 - what else is needed?

GilmourD

Apr 9, 2007
My power steering on my '94 GT just decided to take a dump and leak all over the place... So I figure this is a good excuse to upgrade.

I'm looking at the Flaming River FR1508 rack and pinion setup. I know all the pros and cons to manual steering and I'm cool with that. What I need to know, though, is what else I'll need (besides the obvious outer tie rod ends) to make it work with my car. I see a kit with an adapter and the tie rod ends, but it's $200 more and... Well, I don't see $200 worth of additions to the kit.

So, will the FR1508 bolt right to my steering shaft and whatnot? Or do I need an adapter for that?

• Sponsors (?)

My power steering on my '94 GT just decided to take a dump and leak all over the place... So I figure this is a good excuse to upgrade.

I'm looking at the Flaming River FR1508 rack and pinion setup. I know all the pros and cons to manual steering and I'm cool with that. What I need to know, though, is what else I'll need (besides the obvious outer tie rod ends) to make it work with my car. I see a kit with an adapter and the tie rod ends, but it's $200 more and... Well, I don't see $200 worth of additions to the kit.

So, will the FR1508 bolt right to my steering shaft and whatnot? Or do I need an adapter for that?

I bought the Flaming river kit...I believe it was around $500. It comes with the rack, outer tie rod ends, and an adapter u-joint/rag joint.

You have to cut the stock steering shaft off just above that chitty rubber rag joint and use the new one from the kit to make it match up with the rack. FWIW, I believe just that Adapter is over $75.

\Depending on your suspension, you may need a bumpsteer kit as well.

I bought the Flaming river kit...I believe it was around $500. It comes with the rack, outer tie rod ends, and an adapter u-joint/rag joint.

You have to cut the stock steering shaft off just above that chitty rubber rag joint and use the new one from the kit to make it match up with the rack. FWIW, I believe just that Adapter is over $75.

\Depending on your suspension, you may need a bumpsteer kit as well.

I'm going to call Flaming River themselves tomorrow, but I'd also like to balance sales pitch against real-life installs.

My suspension consists of coilovers on the struts and the upgraded Ford lower control arms. I'm running 17" rims that were takeoffs from a brand new '06 car (with the stock '06 Pirelli 235/55R17 tires) and 1/2" spacers from Brenspeed so they don't rub. I currently have no problems with the changed turn radius due to the new LCAs.

I spoke to somebody at Summit tonight (although he said to call back and talk to a tech) and he said that the FR1508 is a bolt-on part. I've already got some Moog outer tie rod ends, so I don't need to buy the kit for those... Plus, honestly, I'd like to make the beating I get from the wife a little less severe. LOL

I think the tie rod end are a different thread than the stock ones but Im not 100 %

Indeed, the thread pitch is different and I believe a different size.

If you have coilovers you are 75-80% likely to need a bumpsteer kit. I have coilovers and I dont have a bumpsteer kit on it yet, but it also has not been aligned, and I know they will tell me I need one.

Just my $.02

If you have coilovers you are 75-80% likely to need a bumpsteer kit. I have coilovers and I dont have a bumpsteer kit on it yet, but it also has not been aligned, and I know they will tell me I need one.

Just my $.02

Actually the guys at Griggs told me otherwise, you should not need a bumpsteer kit since you are running coilover. Dont really understand why but it has something to do with the suspension geometry.:shrug: