Fox Flat bottom steering wheel

ggradtech

Jun 17, 2016
Im looking at a Momo or NRG flat bottom or "D" style wheel for my car. Grant sells an adapter kit for the Foxes. It's #3289 (non airbag). Is there a way to convert this 5 hole Grant adapter to accept a 6 hole Momo or NRG brand wheel?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure I'd want a flat bottom steering wheel on any car that didn't have a really high steering ratio. Those are really for dedicated sports cars. Sure you can think of a Foxbody as sporty, but it aint a sports car with 2 1/2 - 3 turns lock to lock.

I don’t know that the flat bottom denotes anything relative to the steering rack ratio..to me it means that there is no leg room to have a full round wheel there when you cannot adjust the column.

It also means that it only belongs in an Asian car.

With a big assed wing...

And a big round farty pipe.

Vroom vroom.....

• Happy
Reactions: 1 user
With regard to the steering ratio, my opinion is that drivers sometime release grip on the wheel but still kind of hold it in their hands as they allow the steering to return to straight when pulling out of a sharp turn. Doing this might seem a bit wonky on a wheel that is not round. But on a flat bottom wheel with full lock in a 1/2 turn of the wheel.....well, maybe not as wonky

My son has a '17 GTI and it has a flat bottom wheel from the factory. When you swing in for head in parking, 1/4 turn of the wheel and your in.

It's all hot rodding. Take something that looks cool and put it on your hot rod. If it works that's good, if not, wall art.
I think those steering wheels look cool. If you can figure out how to make it work document it here. Someone may be interested.

• Loved It!
Reactions: 1 user
It’s been done . In a fox I have seen it in person . Flat bottom ford racing wheel . Momo used to make a 6 bolt hub they don’t anymore it seems but am sells a cheap one .

My car is a 93 without a tilt column. The flat bottom isnt so much for "looks" in my case, but function. My legs sit a bit close to the stock wheel. I also now have 2016 seats installed, and they do sit a tad higher than my stock Fox seats did. I dont really see what the bottom does for you when driving anyways in regards to the "ratio". I dont think I ever touch the bottom of the wheel on any of the cars I've driven.

My car is a 93 without a tilt column. The flat bottom isnt so much for "looks" in my case, but function. My legs sit a bit close to the stock wheel. I also now have 2016 seats installed, and they do sit a tad higher than my stock Fox seats did. I dont really see what the bottom does for you when driving anyways in regards to the "ratio". I dont think I ever touch the bottom of the wheel on any of the cars I've driven.
You can put a 87-89 tilt Column in as well . I have done it before no issue but I did link you to a 6 bolt hub above . Good luck

I dont really see what the bottom does for you when driving anyways in regards to the "ratio". I dont think I ever touch the bottom of the wheel on any of the cars I've driven.

Flat bottom wheels originally were used in cars that had high ratio racks meaning they were 1 turn lock to lock. So the flatbottom never made it around to the top.

But it’s been done before on street cars.

Since you are ditching the airbag anyway, just do an 87-89 tilt column conversion and run the Momo 6bolt adapter and the wheel of your choice

Momo 4525 is the part number. A few still on eBay