Flood Cars

• Sponsors (?)

midlifecrisis99cobra said:
Probably already been discussed, but search didn't find it. If you are buying used, be sure you aren't getting a flood special from the Katrina/Rita area.

What are some signs to look out for? Electrical gremlins are probably a given, right? What else should someone be wary of? :shrug:

There is a long list of stuff to look for. Unfortunately, many times the electrical problems don't start for a while. Look for dried mud/dirt where it shouldn't be. Water stains in headliner/carpet/upholstery. Water or dirt inside lights. Mildew, etc, etc. If you have any thoughts that the car may have come from an area with flooding problems, pay the money to get it checked out by a mechanic you trust and tell him specifically to look for flood damage.

Salt water is the big concern. A car flooded by salt water can run fine for a few years then POW! it starts acting up and it will never be right again. A car flooded by fresh water will probably be fine but I would still stay away from it.

This has been a big topic of discussion in the collision industry. Recommendations within the indsutry are thin so far on how to repair Katrina cars because this is an unprecidented flood. For the most part, the rule of thumb is if the water level gets over the rockers or bottom of the dash the car is a write-off. Too many electrical gremlins will exist. For cars in salt water it is obviously even worse... Some documentation on handling of these cars can be found at www.ccar-greenlink.org

I would be concerned about 2 things. First, rates will most likely go up--especially with homeowners policies. Nevermind the fact that insurance companies reported record profits for the last 5 or 6 consecutive quarters. Second, I am worried a bit about flood cars, but much more worried about parts off of flood cars making it into the market. Should someone of lesser moral values decide to resell an air bag...yikes!

we should compile a list of steel that isn't treated that we could look for like rusted seat bolts, dash brackets, cables..

Of course seaweed in the fuse block is a good indicator as well.

a friend just bought a f-150 lariat 4 door 2months ago, it was flooded during katrina, only the carpet was wet. the insurance totaled the truck and he bought it back for $6500. had all fluids changed, regreased everything , changed carpet, and now is back on the road, with the money he saved off that truck, he bought a 2006 mustang gt. i just liked the story and wanted to share that with u guys. hopefully the truck dosen't burn up!!