Floor Board Leaking!?!?!?

1GtUnV

Mar 31, 2002
Sounds real weird but about a week ago i noticed pretty much a puddle on the floorboard of the rear passanger seat. Its not the roof leaking im sure of it. Somehow some way the floor board is leaking. There is a small rubber plug underneath the car at the spot where it leaks, the metal is also a little flexible.

Anyone had/have or hear about this problem? Any suggestions for fixing? I was thinking of just welding a new piece of metal down there and then getting the car re-undercoated....

• Sponsors (?)

Is your heater core leaking? Or are you driving through a lot of huge puddles? I had my heater core open up on me all over the front passenger floor while I was blowing the doors off of a Nitroused Civic!

Sometimes there is a rubber grommet under there...

1GtUnV:

91lxttrim is correct: there are rubber plugs (1 or 1.25" dia.) that can fall out. Check these first.

The other problem may be a body panel leak, like the post by "DC Big Pimpin" on Corral:

"I had the same problem with my 00 GT. It was the silicone sealant around the trunk openning. There are 2 slots or slits, one on each side. Just pop your trunk and look where the weather stripping should be. You should have a bead of silicone going all the way around the trunk openning".

HTH,

Chris

yes car is a vert. But im 100% that its not coming from the top or a window leak because the water comes from the bottom up (put 2 towels down to figure this out and the bottom one was wet but the top one wasnt at all). Im gonna try this trunk opening thing....thanks for all the help guys ill keep you posted.

1GtUnV said:
yes car is a vert. But im 100% that its not coming from the top or a window leak because the water comes from the bottom up (put 2 towels down to figure this out and the bottom one was wet but the top one wasnt at all). Im gonna try this trunk opening thing....thanks for all the help guys ill keep you posted.

water does not leak from the top straight down. 99 percent of water leaks in a vert top seep along the bottom edge of the top and runs down the body panels then pools on the floorboard. it will fill from the bottom up

most likely you have a leak at one of the seals or where the vert top and body meet.

take the trim panels out from around the back seats and get in and have somebody spray water at it.

I had the exact same problem. It was coming from some part of my AC/heater that's located near/on the passenger-side firewall. Ford tech says he's seen it a few times. They had to take the dash off to get at it. The tech told me they siliconed something. I'm waiting for it to leak again. . .

It drove me nuts trying to figure it out because the front passenger carpet was always dry to the touch. I was so sure something was leaking from the outside I spent half an hour with a hose trying to find the "leak" LOL! Apparently a crease in the floor plan acts like a channel so the front carpet stays relatively dry. I didn't believe the tech until he showed me the leak with the car running. You can check to see if this your problem by pulling the carpet up on the passenger side near the transmission tunnel with the ac on.

Good luck with your car.

Clarification

Just to clarify, the leak was on/near the firewall, not on the transmission tunnel itself.

I reread the original post. I also thought it was those black grommets on the bottom of the car.

Hope this helps.

If the heater core was leaking I would think the antifreeze stink would give it away.

Unfortunately it sounds like your just going to have to take a nice afternoon and start pulling things out until you find the source....

it's not the heater core. if it was you would have a 4-5 inch deep puddle in the pass footwell to have it pool in the rear pass footwell.

he has a vert top seal leaking. or some seem leaking in the body ABOVE the floor.

water DOES NOT FLOW UP. unless he is parking in flood waters he will not have water leaking up from under the floor. Water leaks for the most part will seep down from where it's leaking along a body panel and then pool in the lowest spot it can find.

If the leak was in the front of the car the water would end up in the front footwells and the rear would be dry. so his leak is in the rear. he needs to remove the rear trim and start looking while somebody sprays the car down.

BTW the worst water leak i ever saw by far was in a mazda protege. it had over a foot of water in the trunk :eek: