Flushing water from the radiator and block.

djj62478

Member
Feb 25, 2026
43
4
18
Nj
So when I first put the motor in my 90, I put water in the radiator this way if there were any leaks I would not have wasted coolant and also have it all over my driveway. Now I want to swap it over to coolant. What is the proper way to do this, do you just empty the radiator and overflow and refill?
 
I personally would drain that water out and refill with distilled water. Run up to temp and then drain that,if any water is left it will mix with coolant and distilled water is what you want with coolant.
 
Does the block have to be drained? Thing is I already drained the radiator and removed the old coolant from the reservoir. I started filling up the radiator with coolant it was almost to the top then stopped and thought a minute does the block need to be drained? If so how do I do it and is there an easy way to do it?
 
So like I stated earlier but left out that when I drained the water out of the radiator and sucked out the rest from the reservoir I then flushed the radiator with water until it was clear coming out of the petcock, then filled the radiator up with 50/50 mix almost to the top, I never started the car but my thinking was if I did it would suck some of the coolant down. Is this correct? Then should I fill it up with the rest of the way with straight coolant to account for the water that's in the block? I'm just nervous because winter is coming up and I don't want any problems.