fog light connector

MUSTANGJOE

Silver Stanger
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2002
foglight connector

does any one sell the connector clip for the foglight switch. Its the clip that attaches to the back of the sWitch with the wires. Mine melted for some reason! probably because I ran a higher voltage foglight bulb than stock :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Plan on a trip to the junkyard... :spot:

Take a paper clip or jeweler's screwdiver with you to lift the connector shell's plastic retaining clips up off the metal contacts. The contacts will slide out of the back of the connector shell. I have done the same thing with several different connector shells, and it works good. Most of the time the junkyard only want a $1 for less, and if you're a regular customer, it may even be a freebee.

Actually there is an aftermarket company that sells the connector with the plastic hard shell connector and the wire leads. It is out of New Jersey but we sell them here too for about $10-$15 Beats digging through car after car hoping to find one that doesn't look like yours. Hope this helps. Oh, by the way, the name of the company is Summit Motor Products

What if I just splice the foglight wires into the headlight switch wires? So the headlights and fogs will come on at the same time. But would the headlight switch be able to take it with melting or something going wrong?

MUSTANGJOE said:
What if I just splice the foglight wires into the headlight switch wires? So the headlights and fogs will come on at the same time. But would the headlight switch be able to take it with melting or something going wrong?

that is actually how it works, as far as i know (fogs use juice from the headlight circuit). there are many write ups on it (Corral, etc). i would highly recommend using a relay on the fogs.

i dont have faith in the stock wiring, so i did relays on lows, highs, and fogs.
if you just splice into the headlight switch, make sure you dont tap into the ISO circuit. it will fry if you use it to power the fogs. as i recall, the fog fuse (15???) is hot with the key on only or hot with the headlights on only, so you could tap into that fuse and be good.
very easy to rewire the stuff.
good luck.

Thanks guys. Im not really that good on this electrical stuff ( never was! ). Is there another solution? What If I put a bigger fuse or a stonger connector?

Bigger fuse will cause problems. Fuses protect the wiring from fires.

Bigger wire or the foglight fix is the way to go. Bribe one of your buddies who is good with electrical wiring to help you. A steak dinner is alway nice... :D

If you don't a a bud locally that is good with electrical stuff, check out the Mustang clubs in you area, and make some friends.