For anyone who's dropped the Trans Pan....HELP, Quick Question

IB6NUB9

Apr 22, 2002
chicago
I'm in the process of doing the JMOD and have everything done except buttoning her back up......

When I dropped the valve body I think the 2-3 actuator spring came out (smaller spring_) When i pulled the retaining clip for the 1-2 a spring shot out...I turn around to look at it and there's 3 springs sitting there?!?

I'm going off the directions @ crownvic.net and they don't mention keeping any springs in the 1-2 or 2-3.....but why are there 3 springs and do any go back in? If so any idea which one? there is a smaller one, medium, and one that's larger..

thanks for any help guys........can't wait to button her up in the morning and take her for a drive:D

• Sponsors (?)

It really isn't that big of a deal...the springs only came from 1 of two places......

the 1-2 or 2-3 accumulator...and I have a feeling that they came from the 1-2....From all the directions that I've read though...I've haven ran across there being 2 springs in one of those locations.....

anyone? any help? if anything I'll leave them all out.:shrug:

Can someone help.....

I just buttoned her back up and did not put any 3 springs back in....I don't know if this has something to do with what is happening.....When I go to put it in gear, it feels like it only partially engages, reverse too....then when I give it gas it clunks and feels like it does fully engage....also, with my foot on the brake sitting still, when I shift to second from say 1st or Drive, it doesn't feel as though it's making any attempt to get there.....

I'm going to have to re drain her and open it back up....

can anyone help me? does it have to do with the springs?

also..... I took a reading on the dipstick and it didn't read on there at all...I could be at a max 1.5 - 2 quarts low....I need to run to the auto parts store to pick some more up.......could this cause this be the culprit?:shrug:

well, she has proper fluid in her now and it's still doing the same thing....I hope someone chimes in...I'm assuming this may have to do with the removal of both 1-2 acumulator springs....though my problem is in forward and reverse....

I'll be checking back here...I think i'll start to jack her up and drain again....any suggestions guys?

more info.....took her for a drive and revs shot up about 500rpms (tranny slipping) on the shift to overdrive. At 35mph.....back off the gas, car would slip out of gear partially because when back on the gas it would jump rpms for a second until engaging again....

:shrug:

pan is dropped......I'm ready to install the upper spring....however there are two springs and don't know if the longer one or shorter one belongs on top...I've done tons of net searching and found nothing....I couldn't tell when they came out because they shot out....

sure hope this is the problem....

anyone?!? wish svt tech was online

I'd try ask over at Tccoa or something like that, they seem to know more than anyone here does. Also I wouldn't recommend driving the car so much when you have no idea what's going on inside the tranny at the moment. You could be stressing parts that weren't meant to be stressed and in the process end up needing a brand new tranny. I know I wouldn't be driving it if springs were out that probably shouldn't be and it was doing everything you're saying it is.

:D I did the JMOD yesterday as well.....there was little info for the DYI er about the 1-2 and what goes where, it popped out so quick on me too after i was horsing around with the retaining clip that I didn't see the order stuff came out in.....

Both metal pieces go skinny side up......the top spring that you want to put back in is the longer of the two (blue)....leaving the bottom one (grey) out when you re assemble.

you'll love the improvements when you go for a drive