For those interested in an actual Power steer box

66Runt

Jun 11, 2005
Here is the company I saw at Good Guys show.
Power Craft Steering Parts
452 Olive #L
Vista, CA 92083
Office (760) 806-9497
Fax (760) 808-3707

The guy I talked to is Andrew.
He gave me a "show price" of $550.00 with the pump, and corrected pitman arm. He said it was a Corona box.
I was talking to him about my '66. He picked up a stock manual box for a '67 and said "does it look like this?" He had just sold the power steer setup to a guy with a '67 Cougar. According to what he said, there is a little drilling of the box mounts to make it line up, but that the most critical dimensions were the same. And it includes a modified pitman arm that duplicates the Mustang/Cougar geometry.

This all took place in less than 3 minutes, and while he was helping others. I didn't see it, nor have I seen a Corona steer box, so I have no idea the accuracy of his information.

They also have a somewhat permanent booth at the Pamona swap meet.

If anyone is brave enough to do this (Darkbuhda,... hint, hint, hint). I would hope you would post a nice write up with pictures on how it went, and your impressions.

I bought a Randall's Rack R&P so I won't be doing this swap myself.

Good luck,

Scott

• Sponsors (?)

This is very exciting! I'm a little skeptical of the feel/feedback of a Corona box, but it should be still be better than the orignal ps mess. Still, it'll be a while before I take on the swap. I want to put some serious miles on my car after I finish all my planned mods to the original system. But after that, I think I'll be talking to Powercraft!

I'd be more concerned with longevity and strength

The Corona (if that is what this box is really out of) was a very light car with a 4 cylinder engine. I would think one or two track days, or Auto-X's, would tell the story of durability pretty well. Measure free play in the box before and after. If there is a noticable difference, I'd think real hard about doing it permanently.

Some of the Japanese stuff was built like a tank, and some of it was built like a beer can. Let's hope this little steer box is not of the latter.

Scott

An early Celica box would be pretty close to a Corona box.

There was someone on Mercurycougar.net who used a Cressida gearbox in an early Cougar. Bolted in fairly well, but he had to cut and weld a pitman arm from parts of the Cougar and Cressida arms.

I heard a while back that Global West was developing an integrated power steering gear for early Mustangs.

BTW I purchased a stock "rebuilt" Mustang gearbox from Powercraft that turned out to be junk. It felt like it was full of gravel. I am now running a Borgeson gearbox with a rebuilt control valve and cylinder.

rbohm said:
do you have a link to the company?

Their email is : [email protected]

Their business card does not have a web site address, and based off that email address, I'm thinking they probably do not have a web site.

Anybody live down in that area that could stop in and check it out. It's between I-5 and I-15 just north of the 78 Freeway.
From 78 take Melrose north to Olive. Right on Olive and they are on the left side (taken from the map on the back of the card).

Scott

bnickel said:
i just found this on the net. it looks like it is possible to adapt this to the stang chassis, since the mustang box is actually a saginaw box anyway, i just can't remember what series it's based on. anyway here is the link

http://www.classicperform.com/NewProducts/CPP600.htm
Looks like a tri-5 box. There is not enough room in front of the box. Mustang boxes have nothing in front of the vertical shaft to speak of.