Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter

Aug 7, 2015
Does anyone else have this shifter? I just bought a new car with it and it is a little loud. It has a ringing when the tranny is in gear and the reverse lockout rattles when you shift. Is it the shifter or a poor install. Car also has 3" Gibson exhaust with xpipe, so it's pretty loud. No ringing in neutral or when the clutch is pressed.

• Sponsors (?)

If the car has the transmission mount insert (especially the hard composite versions) to firm up the transmission mount, it will increase the noise and vibration significantly. The exhaust may play a small role as well.

I've seen the short throw shifter in the catalogs. The way its designed, I wouldn't think it would increase the noise and vibration by itself. It seems to me that its just a little shorter handle that decreases the throw distance. However, if the reverse lockout is not secure and vibrating, that sounds kind of like poor install or fitment. Ford Racing pieces usually fit pretty well.

My unprofessional/amateur opinion.

Last edited:
I just bought a new 2015 european ecoboost.. Everything is great so far; except for some noise under low speed low RPM conditions. It is most obvious under 1st gear and between 1000~3000 RPM. The noise is approximately from the area of middle - front - passenger side. It sounds like spinning the cap on a jar with some speed. It does not exist under any RPM as long as the gear is in neutral. The noise will also go away if I keep my hand on the knob and apply a rightward force while the stick is in 1st or 2nd gear. It also goes away if I lift up the stick collar for reverse gear. Does anyone have this problem with a new Mustang? It can be solved?