Fort Worth Texas Newbie

Hello all. getting ready to purchase my 1st Mustang and found this forum while searching and reading up. Looking forward to digging into this community.
Always wanted one, but the kids and life happens. I have some bandwidth to throw myself into the deep end.
Looking for newbie information and hoping to help as I learn as well.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you looking for a V6 or V8?
Coupe is better than a Convertible. Mine is ALWAYS one knife away from being stolen. 5 Speed Vert.......

What questions do you have of us as owners?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
DON'T BUY A CONVERTIBLE
Seeing as you're in Texas, @scottm1211 , this is the absolute best advice. The north and central Texas climates would make a convertible miserable nearly year-round. In the summer, with the A/C on max, with the top and windows up, the sun is still going to heat the top up to 120 degrees or more, right over your head, and that radiant heat will overcome the A/C's output while you're sitting in traffic or stoplights. In the winter, the heater just can't get hot enough to keep the inside warm, and you and I both know spring and fall are about two weeks long each in between the seasons of "cold and wet" and "hot and dry".

I made the mistake of buying a fox-body convertible... and a second one (long story), I'll never have another convertible unless I move somewhere tropical.

1st one was answered by

MustangIIMatt

and the comment you made

kiddiccarus

Are you looking for a V6 or V8?
Coupe is better than a Convertible. Mine is ALWAYS one knife away from being stolen. 5 Speed Vert.......

What questions do you have of us as owners?

I am "targeting" LX hatch with a V8.... I LOVE the 4 eye models.... but still looking and reading. Looking for something as stock as possible. The more I read the more I am seeing about swaps. Not looking for an automatic, but if the idea is to make it mine, does really matter upfront? most like not. I expect to throw money at it like a black hole. My oldest is leaving for the Navy in two weeks... this is a good move for him and an even better move for my time line. Frees up space and cash. initially looking for ideas on where to find outside of craigs and the fakebook.
EDIT: Foxbody years

I believe that the "Unicorn" is a 87 notch with T-Tops and 5.0 H.O. If that type of thing interests you. I will tell you though, that car is not one that most of the owners will be parting with willingly. It is such an odd breed that they think they are special, Owners not car.... I believe it would be a great car for Texas. Brings a lot of eyes to its looks for the T-Top and the versatility of it over a convertible in your area is just all plus's

I believe that the "Unicorn" is a 87 notch with T-Tops and 5.0 H.O. If that type of thing interests you. I will tell you though, that car is not one that most of the owners will be parting with willingly. It is such an odd breed that they think they are special, Owners not car.... I believe it would be a great car for Texas. Brings a lot of eyes to its looks for the T-Top and the versatility of it over a convertible in your area is just all plus's
Also two things I have noticed, available quality and pricing. It is all over the map...which makes sense now based on your comment. Folks hold on to what they like. You find pics from sellers of a ragged out stangs with uneven lines on the front end so bad looks like it was wrecked twice and seller wants 20K..... three post later... car looks straight as an arrow and wants 12K.
When the time is right, two three months from now, I need to swing by these cars and get up under and walk around.

Which Generation do you favor?

Own: 95 (SN95) and 01 (Next Gen) Prefer 04-09 (Fake GT500KR body style) one day I will have one of these and make a 500KR with all of the goodies I want.

Let me ask this: What is your current level of ability when it comes to mechanics and repair/restoration.

Asking this because in the end you can find a deal if you are willing to fix it up some rather than a cookie cutter stang that is bone stock.

Never fixed a dent in my life.....so yep.... not going to even pretend I have the 1st idea.
I have always owned Ford trucks. I my skillset would be more mechanical. Grease monkey by need.... poor boy needed wheels had to make junk work.
Two engine swaps over the years as well.
Swapped a blown 351 w/manual in a 1979 F-150 for the same w/automatic
Swapped 4.9L (old 300 straight 6) in a 1996 F-150 for a 5.0L
Got the tools and I like to tinker....