Fox 4 lug to 5 lug, stock axle length

93 LX

Founding Member
Jun 2, 2000
Norwalk, CA.
This is a Rear Disk, Turbo T-Bird rearend setup with T-bird axles, which I want to convert to 5 lug stock FOX Stang length fopr better rimn selection.

Does anyone know of any 5 lug rotors can I use or redrilling is the only way?

Aerostar / Ranger axles.....

Which side for each and which years am I lookin for?

Does anyone know the stock measurement and how do you measure axle length?

Thanks

Allen

• Sponsors (?)

you should have just gotten the complete rearend. But you shouldn't have any problem with the ranger or aerostar axles since there the same as the fox. You will either need two drivers side ranger axles or two passenger side aerostar axles. You dont have to get one from each vehicle. Its hard to find aerostars so rangers will be your best bet. I used axles from an 00'gt but they will be to long for you so stay away from the sn-95. Its a good thing im not running rear brakes.

Five lug Turbo Coupe conversion: This keeps the wider track used by Turbo Coupe rear axles.
Use the 94-95 axles Mustang axles. Use 1990 Mazada MPV 3.0 V6 front rotors (10", 5 lug x 4.5" pattern, 2 7/16" offset ). While you are at the auto parts store, set a TC rear rotor side by side with the Mazada rotor and they are the same except for the offset.

The next step fixes the offset problem:
Use a Maximum MotorSports 1/8 spacer (MMWS6, http://www.maximummotorsports.com/i...roduct_info&manufacturers_id=&products_id=576 ) between the inside of the rotor and the axle flange. The spacers may need to have the OD machined to fit properly. The stock rotor offset is 2 5/16" and the Mazada rotors are 2 7/16" offset. The 1/8" spacer puts the rotor back dead center alignment with the calipers.

Thanks,

I was looking to get back to the stock Stang rear track width. So I will shoot for the Ranger axles or Areostar axles.

So it looks my only option is to re-drill the roter hats right?

Any other ideas?

Allen

When you replace the axles, you change the position of the brake rotor in relation to the caliper. When you move the axles flanges closer inboard, the rotor no longer lines up with the caliper. The way to fix this is to change the rotor offset. The offset referrs to the hat section depth on the brake rotor.

See http://www.svo73mm.cjb.net/ for some helpful ideas on how to fix your problem.

Right, I am going to buy the special brakets from North Racecars.

I just now need to know if I redrill rotors or buy off the shelf 5 lug ones.

Allen

If the North Racecars brackets work with the stock rotors, the Mazda rotor/MM spacer combo would give you 5 lugs. Having a machine shop redrill the rotors will probably cost more than the Mazda & MM combination.

Rotsa Ruck finding any other rotors that are a one to one swap. I spend many hours sorting and checking a Raybestos Excel spreadsheet for a possible match. PM me if you want the Excel speadsheet and I will send it to you.

i work at an oreilly auto parts store and have done a little on the clock research on those front rotor 5 lug swaps... the exact perfect rotors to use are 88-92 lincoln mark series... same 10" diameter same bearings and seals as fox mustangs and same offset. they are probably the cheapest front 5 lug conversion option.

Thank you for this information. The reason I am going to to use the 96 front spindles is because of the improved braking of the dual piston PBR brakes and the fact I can use newer mustang rims because of the shorted hub.

Allen