Fox Fox Body Frame Rust-- Scrap or Save?

• Sponsors (?)

The up-side is that you're in Chicago... The up-side is that you can get cars shipped to you from pretty much anywhere in the country fro about $500.

Look for good buys in the southern states. Take your time and you'll find a good deal on a solid car.

The up-side is that you're in Chicago... The up-side is that you can get cars shipped to you from pretty much anywhere in the country fro about $500.

Look for good buys in the southern states. Take your time and you'll find a good deal on a solid car.
Quit telling northerners that! Good stuff's getting expensive here too because of them!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Sold, for $500! Guy came and picked it up today, said he was going to use the parts in his 86.

What happened to swapping over to a clean 86 you found? Stupid easy swap.

I decided that it would be too much work for an inexperienced person like myself to do on his own with the amount of space and time I have. I had paid 1000 for the car, a roller would have been another 1500-2000. For 3000-4000 I could get a pretty solid driving GT. That combined with the fact that I had never worked on a car before, would be doing everything alone, and will probably move out within a year or two, I just decided it wasn't worth it.

I want to thank everybody on here for sharing their advice and personal experiences in this, it really helped me see the size of the mountain I would have had to climb.

Reactions: 6 users
People want too much.

This is true in a lot of cases. People always seem to think that they're sitting on a gold mine. But there are decent buys out there if you're patient and diligently on the lookout. Like this one:
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/d/dacula-price-drop-1989-ford-mustang-50/6982789303.html
It looks fairly unmolested but beat to death by a teenager. I don't think it to be a bad asking price, just all depends on what kind of shape it's in beyond the pics. If I had the cash and was ready to start on my Fox I'd consider going to take a look at it. I have a lot of what it needs on my convertible already, so I'd look into doing something like what was mentioned before in this thread - swap the good parts onto this one if it's a better body and sell what's left.

Reactions: 1 user
Sadly true. The subject car in this thread would likely be listed on CL for $2k in the northeast.

I’ve given up on owning another fox. People want too much.
I meant here in Texas. Too many people from up north are coming down here to buy fox-bodies and shortbed Chevy C10 trucks, and it's driving the prices through the damned roof.

Sadly true. The subject car in this thread would likely be listed on CL for $2k in the northeast.

I’ve given up on owning another fox. People want too much.

I've been thinking about just throwing a ridiculous price at mine and seeing what happens. Then find a roller and start over or an SN95.0 cobra. Or maybe this. I think this is the best value in my area and actually very reasonable.

I meant here in Texas. Too many people from up north are coming down here to buy fox-bodies and shortbed Chevy C10 trucks, and it's driving the prices through the damned roof.

Yeah but of course! 10 years ago when I was looking, I looked down south. My fox came out of Florida and was bought new in Missouri. Anything of age I would be doing the same thing. Our stuff up here is trashed from the road salt from our long winters. My BIL pickup a 5 lug parts for me in the Phoenix area could not believe the conditions of the dust shields, they were 20 years old and looked like new!

I'm sure of it. For too long guys would make a road trip with trailer in tow, buy a $4K fox from the south and flip it for $8K or so up here. Decent profit for a few days of driving and maybe a few hundred in fuel costs.

I'm sure eventually people catch wind of this and try to do the same and demand causes the prices to climb.

Northeast cars are just terrible. There's a reason why MA did away with emissions testing on pre-2000 cars. There aren't any on the roads up here. They just rot out.

Any Fox bodies you find for sale in the northeast are garage queens, or rust-boxes. Even a lot of the garage queens have issues because they were probably driven a few years as any other normal car before moving onto a 2nd or 3rd owner as a weekend car and stored.

Hell, i'll even admit my own car has a few minor issues that could be address due to it's early life as a daily driver.

Here’s a cheap local (to me) GT very. I might have jumped in this if I didn’t have other plans.

Here’s a cheap local (to me) GT very. I might have jumped in this if I didn’t have other plans.

I've heard the convertibles are a good way to get into a nice fox body for a good price. That one looks really clean.

The one from virginia I posted is one of a couple of cobra swapped lx's I'm kind of looking at. The other one is up here by me and is worse as far as rust is concerned. I asked the owner about the frame rails and he said he didn't know (sounds promising), but somebody looked at the shock towers and told him they would need attention in the future, so I think that one's a pretty solid no.

I contacted the Virginia dealer to ask about rust and they just sent me a pre-written email saying I should book an appointment so that they could better understand my "new car needs." I'll definitely have someone take a look at it if I do anything, but I really like the way it looks. There's also a stock aero lx that looks pretty solid on craigslist but it's all the way up in Washington state.

Here's the one up in Washington. When he says "tabs," does he mean "tags," as in license plates/registration?

Last edited:
I think that in the price range you’re looking at, it’s going to be a real hit or miss. You may get an honest seller, and get a decent start to a project, or you could get seriously burnt. But either way, at that price, it WILL need work.

Is there anyone you know that can help you look at these cars without the “emotion” getting in the way? For me, those “I want to be a cobra things” on a regular LX would raise some flags, meaning they beat on it like they wished it was a Cobra.