Fox Mustang Purchase Advice

I'm not sure what people you hang around with who love to neglect these cars, but most fox owners I know are always trying to improve their car. As I have stated earlier, mechanical issues can be fixed somewhat easily, rust is another story. You seriously think welding frame rails is easier than a trans swap? A trans swap with jack stands on your back can easily be done in 3 hrs.

Chris

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Might be kind of hard with COVID, but it seems to me that if you can find one in southern California or one of the desert states you can tend to get a rust free body. The downside is the paint and interior have usually taken a beating from the sun, but if you are patient you can piece one together.

I'm not sure what people you hang around with who love to neglect these cars, but most fox owners I know are always trying to improve their car. As I have stated earlier, mechanical issues can be fixed somewhat easily, rust is another story. You seriously think welding frame rails is easier than a trans swap? A trans swap with jack stands on your back can easily be done in 3 hrs.

Chris
How long you think for frame rails?

How long you think for frame rails?

That depends on many factors. How bad are the rails. Is the repair being done properly or just welding patches over rust? Is the drivetrain being removed to do the repair? I have followed MANY members on here as they show their progress repairing rusted frame rails. I have seen days, weeks, months dedicated to the repair. I have yet to see someone that has done it in 3 hours...at least not in the 20+ years I have been on this site.

Chris

Take it for what it’s worth ( since it’s not a mustang), But i bought my car sight unseen for 1000.00 from a reseller in Arizona, then paid 650.00 to have it shipped to me.

I didn’t care about the interior, or the engine ( other than it had one, and it ran) as i intended to replace everything. The most important part of the equation was a good rust free body that hadnt been wrecked. I don’t know how the cars from the US can even be brought into Canada, but if it isn’t a massive pain in the ass if you fly into the US to buy one, and then drive it back, i’d imagine that there is a good running 4/6 cyl car out there that is begging for somebody to come buy it that isn’t a rusted out bag of sht.

Reactions: 1 users