Fox owners running E85. Information, set ups, websites.

MustangOwner

Banned
Dec 13, 2006
Hey guys, i'm doing a engine rebuild right now i thought i might considering doing a tune so i could run E85 and 93 octane. Does anybody have any information on doing a E85 conversion? Any websites or techs? I recently read the new 5.0 mustang mag and saw gains of around 20 rwhp and thought that it would be worth it. Its also kinda different to be running E85. Does anybody on this site have a fox running on E85? Worth it? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Found this

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/StoreFront

$500

I don't think you'd get a HP gain though. E85 actually produces slightly less energy than gasoline. It also requires slightly higher compression. I don't beleive you can design a system that will let you swap from 93 octane to E85 with the flip of the switch. I've also heard you need to retrofit your entire fuel system to run it correctly.

My general understanding was that it's not worth it to retrofit.

Found this

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/StoreFront

$500

I don't think you'd get a HP gain though. E85 actually produces slightly less energy than gasoline. It also requires slightly higher compression. I don't beleive you can design a system that will let you swap from 93 octane to E85 with the flip of the switch. I've also heard you need to retrofit your entire fuel system to run it correctly.

My general understanding was that it's not worth it to retrofit.

Read the new issue of 5.0 Mustang and they did a dyno tune with E85 over 93 and it made 20 hp more. They also had a switch so you could switch back and forth between E85 and 93 octane. Yes it produces less energy and you need to upgrade your fuel system to flow 50% more...

Their test car is an '04 CObra. That makes a big difference.

Stated in the 2nd paragraph is why this car made 20 more HP. E85 has a higher octane, thus allowing a boosted car to dial in more aggressive tune considering the cobra has lower compression to begin with.

It would be like running 116 octane all the time and having a chip burned with a toggle with a custom race tune.

COnsidering the cost of the conversion, it may be cheaper to go that route and run 116 octane. You won't see 20rwHP with a naturally aspirated setup. E85 might allow you to get more aggressive, but you can only take N/A so far.

Their test car is an '04 CObra. That makes a big difference.

Stated in the 2nd paragraph is why this car made 20 more HP. E85 has a higher octane, thus allowing a boosted car to dial in more aggressive tune considering the cobra has lower compression to begin with.

It would be like running 116 octane all the time and having a chip burned with a toggle with a custom race tune.
COnsidering the cost of the conversion, it may be cheaper to go that route and run 116 octane. You won't see 20rwHP with a naturally aspirated setup. E85 might allow you to get more aggressive, but you can only take N/A so far.

Okay then you dont' know my Engine setup. My 5.0 is a forged 306, lowered 9.0:1 comp. Running Vortech V-1 S-trim Blower with 10-12 lbs of boost. Running the higher octane will allow me to run more boost and timing. For instance i could run 13-15 lbs of boost. Thus a ton more hp.... My car is recieving a custom tune with 2 options. While i'm doing the engine i thought it might be worth doing a E85 setup.