Fox to Cobra 5 lug conversion (not as easy as it seems)

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
So Today,......I set out determined to start the conversion process by robbing a donor car of it's spindles and rotors. Car was up in the air, tires were off, I had it all off in under 45 minutes, here's your 125.00 sir, Done. If the rest of the stuff was as easy as that, then there'd be no reason for me to post this. ( Not that there ever is a reason for me to post anything)
I've read everywhere where everybody that has converted their fox brakes over to SN95 stuff that the rotors were cheap ( $50.00 ea.) I agree, the rotors I found were cheap 51.99 ea.

The same for the calipers, equally inexpensive, 50-60.00 for refurb pieces. Uhhhh where? You can find the "calipers" for 50.00, but the caliper bracket?.........NOT.

I spent the better part of 4-6 hours today web surfing, and parts store haunting till I was sick of repeating myself. Autozone, Advance, Oreillys, Napa: Rotors? (ck), Calipers? ( some yes, some no) But the bracket to hold the caliper the additional 2" off the spindle? NO, NO, NO, NO!

I found that LRS had a brand new set of loaded calipers w/ brackets for only 299.00 :nono:

I found a used set w/ rotors from a "Mustang" yard for the same 299.00.:eek:

I found A refurb Caliper/bkt assy from Summit supplied by A1 Cardone At 44.99 (Left side only)
I Found the same Assy from CJ pony Parts from the same supplier for 114.00 ( allow 5-7 days for delivery, and they don't know that there is only a left side only left @ A1 cardone. ( That is until after you place the order, they order from cardone and they send you a backorder notice via email)):mad:

So maybe some of you guys have a " Cobra Caliper bracket hiding place", or know of a supplier that bought a bazillion of them and has them in stock ( Both of them) please tell me where they're hiding.:shrug:

I go through this process every time I make a modification, Shock, Resistance, Acceptance.

WHAT ! 299.00? I Aint payin' 299.00!, Oh what the hell,... at least I'll be done and have them by Wednesday.:nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

A-1 CARDONE Part # 18B4654 View attachment 162982 Reman. Caliper w/Installation Hardware & Bracket
with Metal Piston; with Mounting Bracket; Front Right
price core total
$42.79 $45.00
$87.79

A-1 CARDONE Part # 18B4655 View attachment 162983 Reman. Caliper w/Installation Hardware & Bracket
with Metal Piston; with Mounting Bracket; Front Left
price core total
$42.79 $45.00
$87.79
I appreciate you directing me to this. I ordered it from Rock auto. Although I had no confirmation of part availability, or actual ship time, the price was exactly as you linked, so I assume this was where you got it.

I pansy'd out and just bought new loaded anniversary Bullitt calipers from Buy Ford Racing last year. Glad I did too, cause they just jacked up the price by $100.

rock auto is a great place to buy parts.. I have used them twenty times or more, always fast shipping and great prices.
Glad to hear that. That offers me some comfort knowing somebody can testify as to their experience w/ the place. I found the calipers w/o brackets, and the brackets sold separately at a place called auto parts warehouse online yesterday. I didn't buy them because the brackets were listed as fitting the Cobra, as well as the GT and something I've never heard of, GTS. All while Talking w/ some woman from what sounded like the place was in India.
And even if they were the right brackets, I didn't feel like I'd ever see them again after I placed the order.

I didn't buy them because the brackets were listed as fitting the Cobra, as well as the GT and something I've never heard of, GTS.

Below is a long reading... short version : The 1995 GTS was a stripped down bare bones Mustang GT, cloth seats, no spoiler...

If you are interested, however, the following is for you:

A GTS was added to the lineup for 1995. There were 6,370 produced--4,848 5-speeds and 1,522 automatics. GTSs came standard with the basic equipment that made a Mustang a GT. This included the 302cid pushrod V-8 powerplant, Borg-Warner T-5 manual transmission and a Traction-Lok axle. Obvious external characteristics of a GTS are the absence of a rear decklid spoiler, lack of fog lamps in the front airdam, and 16"x7" 5 spoke SN-95 pony rims. Factory original GTSs will have the "Mustang GT" logo embossed on the rear bumper cover, as is the case on standard GTs, and "Mustang GT" badging on the front fenders. Dual 2.25" stainless steel tail pipes exit the back.
Inside the passenger compartment, the GTS Mustang shared the same amenities as the base V-6 Mustang. Seats are cloth and 4-way power adjustable seats were only optional on the driver's side. Windows and door locks were manual. Only the driver and passenger side mirrors were powered. Air conditioning and an AM/FM stereo cassette player were standard. Visor mirrors were non-illuminated, as opposed to illuminated like the GT and convertible Mustangs. The instrument pod was the only interior amenity borrowed from the GT, and it included a 7000 rpm redline tach, 150 mph speedometer, fuel, volt, oil, and temp gauges.

above text was c/p from themustangsource.com

Below is a long reading... short version : The 1995 GTS was a stripped down bare bones Mustang GT, cloth seats, no spoiler...

If you are interested, however, the following is for you:

above text was c/p from themustangsource.com
Huh. I never knew that you could buy basically a stripper w/ a V8 after the LX. I knew they did it in the "olden days", but I just assumed if you wanted a V8 in later years You had to option delete a GT to get it that way.

I appreciate you directing me to this. I ordered it from Rock auto. Although I had no confirmation of part availability, or actual ship time, the price was exactly as you linked, so I assume this was where you got it.
No, I get all my parts from my local parts guy, I use rock auto to track down the part numbers. Generally paying cash gets me my parts MUCH cheaper then rock auto.

No, I get all my parts from my local parts guy, I use rock auto to track down the part numbers. Generally paying cash gets me my parts MUCH cheaper then rock auto.
Well the calipers w/ brackets came from them none the less. Took about 4 days w/ shipping. Although not painted red, They do say Cobra on them. Now all I gotta do is send back the cores (which aren't cobra cores, actually 95 GT stuff) and hope to get back the 51.00 ea. they charged for the core charges.

Isn't that pathetic? That's why I refuse to ever buy anything from those Mustang salvage yards like MPS or Prestige Mustang.
Yeah, I started doing business w/ Prestige and bought a complete 4cyl turbo system out of a 86 SVO that he had for 1000.00. Had what looked like a new 57 trim turbo, new a to a intercooler, BOV and wastegate. The motor had what sounded like a blown head gasket.

When I got it home and found that it was complete junk (all pistons were new, but cast, rods were so out of round that the bearings "fell out" of the big end, and the blown head gasket turned out to be a spun rod bearing AND a blown head gasket.
While I didn't know it then, the turbo ended up having enough in/out movement on the impeller that it was suspect, so I ended up looking at 1000.00 worth of crap when I added it all up. When I confronted the owner w/ my findings, all I got was "too bad".

Let us know how the core charges work out...
Do I detect a slight hint of "yeah,...fat chance" from you?:D

As heavy as those calipers are, the freight to get them back will probably ADD another 20.00+ to my investment in these calipers, and I really dont wanna see them back on my doorstep refused or returned. I was kinda expecting the core inspection to be the same as what you get from any parts store, (open box, look inside, see metal object, Check! core is exchanged) Guess we'll have to see what happens.:shrug:

The swap isnt as cheap as it used to be, especially if you are on a timeline. Seems like the deals are always popping up when you dont need them but then when you go to do another swap you are looking at a 500 dollar swap again.

Let us know how the core charges work out...
RockAuto Credit Issued
Order 7942997

We have issued you credit for RockAuto Order # 7942997.

Visa

Amount: $90.00

Refunded Items

A-1 CARDONE Part # 18B4654: Core: $45.00 = Total: $45.00
A-1 CARDONE Part # 18B4655: Core: $45.00 = Total: $45.00

Since you wanted to know....​

It's always two steps forward,......one step back. Almost two months ago, when I started scrounging up parts for the swap, the first thing I did was find a donor car ( wrecked 95 GT) Hit on the right side, It was determined by the scrap yard that the spindles "might be alright"
They looked OK, so I bought the entire front end for 125.00 rotors/calipers/ hubs/spindles. I threw away the rotors immediately. I found Cobra calipers and brackets for about 100.00 thanks to vanessa91's suggestion to use Rock Auto; I bought new Cobra rotors from the Zone, 100.00;
I bought ceramic brake pads for those calipers, 55.00; and I didn't trust the old hubs, so I bought another set for 40.00 (also from Rock auto). Bought some fittings and braided lines, another 25.00; so all in all, I got a little over 420.00 in the front set.

So I set off this morning to install the front brakes.
First issue: The spindle is 1/4" narrower than my 4 cyl struts. So I make some spacers out of 1/8th" plate x 4. 1 hour.
Second Issue: Drill the tie rod end out to 5/8 on the spindle for the 5/8 bolts that hold the rod ends I use instead of tie rod ends. 20 mins. Done.
Mount the spindle on my LCA, tighten the lower ball joint, put the spindle into the strut, spacers on both sides, bolt it together, done w/ that. Put the hub on the spindle, use that crazy nut to bolt it down, torque it, and throw that big assed rotor on it. Caliper's next, two bolts later it's on. Put my heim end through the spacers on my 5/8" bolt, and the drivers' side is done. 15 minutes tops.

We all know what it looks like, but for me it's the first time I've seen it so you'll have to humor me.
mustangbuild334.jpg

mustangbuild335.jpg

For those that pay attention, I dropped the rack 3/4", and the front end is as low as I could get it,..so I had to use a few........spacers.

I go to the other side, and start to assemble it, and it moves along just the same way, until I attempt to attach the steering to the tie rod mount point. It's bent like a b itch.
mustangbuild336.jpg

Guess it was hurt from the wreck after all. Now I gotta try and take it back to the JY and get another one two months after the fact. Fat chance huh?:nonono:

Moved on to the M/C. I bought this Wilwood unit to get more clearance because the lines exit on the shock tower side as opposed to the engine side like the stock unit did. According to Wilwood, there was no other benefit to upgrading to this unit from the stocker NikwoaC recommended. Well, ...It does look good,...so I got that going for me......... Which is nice.

mustangbuild337.jpg

As for getting additional clearance, I got some.

mustangbuild338.jpg

A little .:shrug:
The thing cost 189.00, so lets add that to the total, now just a little over 600.00 in the brakes.

I got my rear end, back from my friend this morning, and will be adding the NRC kit I got for it in the next few days. New loaded Cobra calipers, 11.65 rotors, all the fittings and doo dads, new E brake lines and the requisite brackets to allow me to mount the calipers to the housing and use stock length Ranger axles ( which I also bought a new set). I'll add that progress as it happens.

Attachments

• mustangbuild334.jpg
    mustangbuild334.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 135
  • mustangbuild335.jpg
    mustangbuild335.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 131
  • mustangbuild336.jpg
    mustangbuild336.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 140
  • mustangbuild337.jpg
    mustangbuild337.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 138
  • mustangbuild338.jpg
    mustangbuild338.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 117
That looks "fun".

Don't feel too bad about the master cylinder debacle. I just bought a universal booster for mine, and of course I realized too late (i.e., didn't check first) that my stock MC wouldn't bolt up to it. So $200 later, I have a matching MC to put on the booster. Problem now is the damn thing hits the strut tower so I had to beat the :poo: out of it to gain almost 3/4" of clearance. Now I have to bring the car to have the mess I made of the paint all fixed up :doh: