Fresh AOD...have PROBLEMS, CAN ANYONE HELP!?!

montegoman351

Jan 12, 2007
Well, just got finished with my Wide Ratio AOD install on my '73 Montego. Set the TV to 35psi with the spacer tool and 0psi at idle. Went for the first test drive yesterday and it didn't want to shift right, on the way back home it started shifting okay. Just thought it was a fluke, went for a second test drive when it was cold tonight and it shifted right for a while, then the PROBLEMS started.

Under all throttle positions, it shifted right and on time. 1-2 at ~18mph, 2-3 at ~31mph, and 3-4 at ~51mph. Passing gear kickdown was right on the money.

Now to the problems: 1-2 at ~20mph, 2-3 at ~40mph, and 3-4 at ~51mph. Under light throttle I can feel the TC slipping, and under medium accel and passing gear, the TC slips so badly it makes the car backfire.

Ok, limped home, let the headers, and fluid cool. Rechecked the TV pressure, 10psi with the spacer tool, only 30psi with the cable pulled ALL the way OUT. Before, it was 85-90psi, but not now. If I rev the engine I can get the tv pressure to rise to normal, with the cable pulled all the way out.

What am I looking at here? Valve body? I would think someone here has had this problem before.

Please, any help would be appreciated, Chris.

• Sponsors (?)

the aod is hard to set up correctly. Its not like a c-4 where you can almost throw it in and go. I would say there is a problem with the tv cable. If you not 100% sure in your work i would take it to a tranny shop and let them adjust everything. Its not worth burning up your new aod and it doesnt take long.

The spec in the Ford manual says 0-5psi, on the internet, and the trans tech at work all said 0-5psi at idle.

Oh and the cable works fine, I'm thinking the VB is leaking internally, or the TV plunger is sticking.