Front Cobra Caliper Question

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Foothill Ranch, CA
I've had a clunk going on with my front Cobra brakes for a while. They clunk the first time I back up, then again when I go forward again, and occasionally clunk when I go over a sharp bump. When I first checked the calipers, I could wiggle them in the bracket a bit by hand. So I got a Raybestos caliper hardware kit and replaced the slide pin and anti-rattle clips. For a few days the clunk was gone, then it came back again. I can't move the calipers by hand anymore, but I can slide the pin back and forth with a tiny push of a finger. It doesn't slide freely, but it's only a small effort to get it to move.

Should the slide pin be so easy to move? I would have expected it to take a good bit of force to move the pin. I'm tempted to pay the extra $$$$ and buy a Motorcraft Cobra hardware kit (BRPK5610) and see if it helps.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you talking about the GT calipers? There isn't any rubber on the Cobra calipers. The GT calipers have a slide pin that goes through a hole in the caliper and screws into the caliper bracket. The Cobra calipers slide pin kinda wedges between the caliper and the bracket and is held in place by an e-clip on one end of the slide pin.

I have the same issues on my cobra its done it for years but it doesnt affect braking other cars I worked on that have the similiar caliper to cobra one do it as well

If that's the way the brakes are, that's fine. I don't think anything is going to break, but I just want to make sure that something isn't wrong.