Engine Front Cover Crack...

Has anyone ever experienced this? Roughly 10.5" crack vertically through the front cover... Guess I figured out where my leak originated!

Attachments

• vinVQMZ0Q3OrszPhqOWCOg.jpg
    vinVQMZ0Q3OrszPhqOWCOg.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Sponsors (?)

So, got everything changed out! Turns out crack must be casting flash as Mustang 5L5 states, It looked so close to a crack but the cover was leaking from the water jacket and no where near the center of the cover. However, in replacing the front cover with a new piece from LMR, on start up, the top right water jacket must have a micro crack as it began weeping water from the center of the cover, see pic. ((You can see the water bubble in the center of the pic between outer right bolt housing and water jacket, right in the valley, photo's are over about 20 sec time lapse)) Ever had that happen? Additionally, my air pump seized on start so there is that... Everything else seemed fine for the 20-30 seconds she was running! Jeez

Attachments

• 5FrgjWD4TS+znt2lcP3thA.jpg
    5FrgjWD4TS+znt2lcP3thA.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 71
  • C3048JfUTa+GXsukMiZoEQ.jpg
    C3048JfUTa+GXsukMiZoEQ.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 71
  • wVXTBZbzQVmvq3ckC32T8A.jpg
    wVXTBZbzQVmvq3ckC32T8A.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 63
  • ZmTbE8j0S3mWScyz55i4Ig.jpg
    ZmTbE8j0S3mWScyz55i4Ig.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 69
So it looks like it was a casting flash as Mustang 5L5 stated. Replaced the front cover and now I have a leak through a micro-crack... see pics, time lapsed 30 sec. You can see the water bubble through the water jacket out the timing cover!!! Damn, cant win for losing. So what do you all think? JB Weld and send it or do it right and replace the front cover?

Attachments

• 5FrgjWD4TS+znt2lcP3thA.jpg
    5FrgjWD4TS+znt2lcP3thA.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 74
  • C3048JfUTa+GXsukMiZoEQ.jpg
    C3048JfUTa+GXsukMiZoEQ.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Tinms4YDTRaI2GNwr3fzzQ.jpg
    Tinms4YDTRaI2GNwr3fzzQ.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 59
  • zhwnRey7RuGjh5qQRUKmmg.jpg
    zhwnRey7RuGjh5qQRUKmmg.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 63
  • ZmTbE8j0S3mWScyz55i4Ig.jpg
    ZmTbE8j0S3mWScyz55i4Ig.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 65
Try the JB Weld you can always pull it and change it if the JB doesn't work. You might be able to lay a bead down so it won't even look bad.
Now if you have unlimited time and funds or are OCD just change it know so you don't drive yourself crazy thinking about it.
Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Try the JB Weld you can always pull it and change it if the JB doesn't work. You might be able to lay a bead down so it won't even look bad.
Now if you have unlimited time and funds or are OCD just change it know so you don't drive yourself crazy thinking about it.
Good luck
I thought about it but when I spoke to LMR they rushed me a replacement so I stripped her back down. Yes OCD would have got the better of me! Ill have it back together tomorrow!!

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck
I've had my last water pump leak , turned out the two bolts that are on backside. I ground down an old wrench and that worked.