Front Cover Oil Seal, how to remove it?

92Patrol5.0

Founding Member
Sep 20, 1999
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have my timing cover off, and got a gasket set for it. However, I can't figure out how to get the seal out of the cover so I can put the new one in. I went to autozone to return the damper puller I rented, and I asked if there is a tool to use to remove the seal.... as is shows in my manual.. and the guy told me he just uses a screw driver to pop it out. I tried that and I can't seem to get it. How do I do it? Or do I need to get a seal puller or something?

• Sponsors (?)

Working from the back side, take a screwdriver and put it in the lip of the seal and knock it out. You'll want to use a big blade screwdriver or something more blunt. I small blade will just poke holes thru the seal. When you put the new one in, a seal installer works best but you can use a hammer and knock it in evenly working around the diameter of the seal. When you have the new one in, look at the seal from the rear of the cover to make sure the spring in the lip of the seal has not popped out. This happens on occasion. Good luck.

Ok, I think I just messed up my timing cover with this method.. Ok, looking from the back I see the rubber seal there... and there is a little metal lip where the seal is attached. I tapped on that and all it's doing is crumpling the metal. I ripped the rubber seal part off. Then I flipped over the cover and I don't see how there is anything relating to the new seal that I have. It looks to me like the new seal pounds down into the timing cover... and this metal lip that I'm talking about goes up into the back of the metal part of the new seal and thats what stops the seal from just going out the back? Am I totally wrong here? Am I missing something? I don't want to pound on it anymore and mess it up, if thats what I'm doing. Or is the hole in the timing cover just supposed to be an open hole, and the new seal pounds into it? I hope I didnt mess up the timing cover b/c I just had one of the bolt holes welded up and I just got done drilling it out and retapping it. I dont want to have to scrap the cover for a new one now... Please tell me I didnt screw it up?

ill bump this for you. im goin to do a balancer soon and was thinking of doin the RC crank seal. i want to hear how bad this sounds (nothing like breakin something that was not really broken).
good luck.

Whew! I had a heart attack for nothing! After I posted this last night, I went and looked at the seal again. I realized on the front of the cover that the tab running around the outside of the hole where the seal goes in is actually part of the seal. I put a screw driver under it and pryed that ouside part of the seal up and then pounded the seal out from the back. Not really that hard after I figured out what the seal really was. I was just panicked because I thought I crapped up my cover for the second time! Whew, relief!

Looks like you got it. On some of these, the seal is pressed in or pushed in from the rear of the cover, so you tap it out from the front side, and install the new one from the back. The real pain was having to remove the cover just to change the seal.

You can also use a seal puller, looks like a T. Hook one end of the Top of the T part under one side of the seal, and pry back on the long handle end. Similar to the screwdriver method from the same side the seal installs from.