Front grille replacement

Justin01

Founding Member
Apr 22, 2002
Texas
Some A-hole backed his truck into my car and managed only to F-up my grill. Thank god he had his hitch ball in or I think something worse might have happened. Anyway, insurance wrote a check and I ordered my replacement pony package grill, and am looking for a write up for changing the grill. Basically need to know if it's easy and straight forward. I want to do this myself if possible.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

• Sponsors (?)

Pretty straight forward and easy, but it involves removing the whole front bumper cover.

1. Remove the front screws (2 or 3, on each side) for the inner fender liner and push liner aside.
2. Remove the bolts that hold the bumper cover to the fender (2, on each side & near fender opening). I used a 1/4" ratchet with a long extension for easy removal of these bolts.
3. Remove the bolts on the bottom of the bumper cover (3, I think).
4. Remove the bolts on the top of the bumper cover, above the headlights (2, one on each side).
5. Remove the bumper cover from the car, you will have to pry a little bit at the top and the bottom to get it removed.
6. Once it's removed from the car, you'll be able to see how the grille is retained in the bumper cover. If the old one is trash, I would cut the clip portion off, as these are a pain to remove.
7. Re-install in opposite sequence. When you're re-installing the front bumper cover to the car, pay attention to the tabs (approx 2"wide x 4" long) that slide into grooves under the headlights. Also pay attention to how the bumper cover is centered and lines up with the fenders.

Hope this helps, I'm sure it's not totally complete, as it's coming from my memory.

Hmm.....for some reason I thought this was going to be a little easier than taking off the bumper cover but I had a bad feeling.

On step 6.....do I need to buy a new clip? Or is it integrated with the grill.

Thanks for your help, I would have been lost without it.
Justin01

I was able to remove mine by just removing the two bolts just inside of the headlights, at the top. Folding the grill forward to gain access to the tabs. Popped out the tabs by prying on them with a plastic blade. Disconnect the fog lights, and that was it.

I also installed a new grill without removing the front bumper, just put a towel or something on the top of the bumper to prevent scratching when you pull the top of the grill toward you after you get the clips on the side of the grill.

Umm if its the upper grill you dont need to remopve the bumper. that grill comes out in 2 minutes remove plastic clips on the radiator shroud and remove, 2 bolts on each side on top under the radiator shroud, disconnect the fog light connectors, and a few clips on the grill tabs may need wiggled and the grill comes right out, if the clips are stiff just use a flat tip screwdriver to pry them loose really simple. I have a stock grill that i put a billet overlay on and painted black i ocasionaly touch up the paint and i can remove my grill in minutes.

I know I have heard of others who have done the same things as what's been stated, "pry the bumper cover out and remove the plastic tabs on the grille from the bumper cover". However, I tried this and was not successful. I guess I'm to anal and found that removing the bumper cover took very little effort/time. I looked at it like it was one of those jobs where taking off the entire cover was better than getting all pi**ed off about some stupid clips that weren't cooperating, and then end up breaking something.

I have a pony package grill.....If you can imagine a truck with a hitchball backing right in the front center of the grill where the horsey is, that's where it hit. The fog lights are undamaged and I just need to find a good deal on the pony grill....which if you know somewhere that sells them cheaper than Ford please let me know.

I don't mind taking off the bumper cover, but I live in an apartment and if I can avoid that much more work than I will try.

I live in the Austin / Round Rock area....I keep my old Mustang at my parent's for safe keeping. They live out in the country and I'm less worried about it being stolen there than in the city........or some drunk backing into the classic!!!

I ordered the grill so I'll give it a shot without taking the bumper off first.

I also was able to remove the grille without removing the bumper cover...took me way more than 2 minutes (about 10-15), but it came out and I was able to swap in the Bullitt grille with no problems:nice: