Suspension Front spring install problem /question

Truba055

Jan 27, 2018
I just installed ford b springs in the front of my 90 mustang. The pig tail of the spring on the driver side is not seated fully in the groove of the control arm. It looks about 1/8 inch off. They were such a PITA to install I don’t want to take them back off. Do you think the spring will seat itself if I put the wheels back on and lower the car (and drive around if needed)? The picture I attached isn’t great but you can kind of see what I’m talking about. image.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks, I marked up the photo to make sure we are talking about the same thing. The red line outlines the pig tail. The blue line shows where the groove starts. I think this better shows that the pigtail is caught on the top of that groove.
spring edit 2.jpg

IIRC, the install directions state to have the pigtail cover one of the two drain holes, but not the other one. I can see one hole explosed, so I would also state you are fine. The pigtail isn't supposed to be fully seated in the pocket

See page 3
http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/ford-racing-mustang-c-springs-install.pdf

I'd be more concerned with the lack of an isolator on that bottom coil contributing to some NVH as well as lowering the height too much. B springs are already pretty low up front as it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That picture helps. It looks like the spring is out of the isolator some. I would think if you took the tension off of the spring you could pry it enough to get it to settle into the pocket.