Front spring install, right and wrong LOL

79dog

Founding Member
Oct 26, 2002
Sunny Fl.
Well, as you probably know, I replaced my front springs. I thought I'd show you some right and wrong pics. LOL :D
Tonight I put on the drivers side spring, the right way as far as I'm concerned. Here are two pics with the home made spring compressor still in place.
Pic 1
dsspring1.jpg

pic 2 the bottom of the spring.
dsspring2.jpg

Notice, these are brand new LCA from FMS.
Notice, there are no scratches. LOL... You'll see why I'm laughing.
Also note, It only took 35 minutes to install this side.

Now on to the passinger side. I worked on this side sat, sun, and monday.
P.S. Don't get autozones spring compressor... you can't get it out once the spring is in.
pic 3
psspring1.jpg

and pic 4
psspring2.jpg

Notice all the nice scratches in my brand new LCA :bang:
There's a right way and a wrong way to do this job. Should have taken about 1 1/2 hours at the most and that would be drinking :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

that stuff is perty. for the record. on an 88 gt, i used the internal spring compressor (goes on inside of spring). it works but you have to unbolt the hooks and wiggle them in and out for it to work. use a shim of pipe under the head of the bolt so the threads are not through the garage ceiling when you get the spring compressed. not the easiest way, but it can be done...
nice job.

those are some stiff springs you got there. that thing should hug the road pretty good.

i find it easy not to even use a spring compressor. just use a nice big floor jack. of course, i've never dealt with springs that thick either.

axeman said:
those are some stiff springs you got there. that thing should hug the road pretty good.

i find it easy not to even use a spring compressor. just use a nice big floor jack. of course, i've never dealt with springs that thick either.

Depends on the method you're using. If you unbolt the arm from the k-member then you don't need the compressor.

I use the internal spring compressor to compress the spring. Then use aircraft cable and turnbuckles to hold the tension so I can remove the compressor outside the car. Saves a lot of hassle. Mind you, this is with my drag launch springs. Lowering springs might be a different deal.

when I installed my Bullit suspension, we just unbolted the whole GD A- arm on both sides- it was a pain the the ass to line up the bolts though after!! but it worked! you need two jacks and it helps to have car on a lift like I did so you have the option to raise the car to line up the bolts as well.

last time me and my brother did the springs we used a inside spring compressor and it took about a hour to do both sides.we also used impact tools to make it easier.but its not much fun the first time you try to do it thats for sure.