Frpp Hot Rod Cams Help!

Davon Ervin

Mar 27, 2017
I am about to install frpp hot rod cams but I just noticed my harmonic balancer does not have the spoke and timing mark on it and it is a bit rusty :/

Attachments

• IMG_1229.PNG
    IMG_1229.PNG
    186.1 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Do you not have a factory balancer? It should still have a timing mark on it.

Regardless you can find TDC with the valve covers off. I have underdrives on mine so I didn't have the spoke, but I did have a timing mark. I used that to roughly locate it, but when you take the valve covers off you can look at the position of the cam lobes to make sure it's right (the illustrations in that guide are very helpful and show exactly how it should look)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your input man but I'm pretty sure it is the factory balance. I'm going to try and take the valve covers off and check the cam lobes. I'm a newbie haha but I refuse to take my car to a mechanic or a performance shop for this. I will update with pics if I run into any other complications.

All you need is this tool. http://www.freedomracing.com/specialty-tools/3v-timing-chain-locking-wedge-303-1175-alt.html
Once valve cover is off, rotate engine until camshaft keyway is facing up, insert tool listed above, remove cam gear bolt, pull cam gear off and then carefully unbolt cam journals in steps, working middle out. keep those in order, remove camshaft, install new cam, re-install cam journals and carefully in steps retorque to spec. Install phaser limiters if used and re-install cam gear and torque to spec. Re-install valve covers.
I replaced both cams in my 08' Bullitt in under 2 hrs with no power tools.

Sounds good and ONLY 2 hours! Geez.. I am going to start at 6am and expect to be done by late afternoon haha My crank is a bit rusty and I cannot see where the timing mark is. All I see is 2 holes/circles on the crank slightly spaced out from each other and I apologize in advance because I have no idea what they are called.
All you need is this tool. http://www.freedomracing.com/specialty-tools/3v-timing-chain-locking-wedge-303-1175-alt.html
Once valve cover is off, rotate engine until camshaft keyway is facing up, insert tool listed above, remove cam gear bolt, pull cam gear off and then carefully unbolt cam journals in steps, working middle out. keep those in order, remove camshaft, install new cam, re-install cam journals and carefully in steps retorque to spec. Install phaser limiters if used and re-install cam gear and torque to spec. Re-install valve covers.
e

My crank is a bit rusty and I cannot see where the timing mark is. All I see is 2 holes/circles on the crank slightly spaced out from each other and I apologize in advance because I have no idea what they are called.

e

You do not have to do anything or see anything on the crank. Just pull one valve cover, roll the engine over until the keyway on the camshaft is at the top. insert the tool as per instructions. remove cam as per my prior post. When finished installing on one bank, go to the other bank and repeat. I found it is easier on the passenger side if you remove the battery and battery tray, it gives you a lot more room. Obviously, on the drivers side the air box and such will be removed to do that side.

You are a legend haha! I understand now that's great news! I'm a newbie but I think I can tackle this all by myself. I'm waiting on my tune. Definitely will update you guys when I finish.
e
You do not have to do anything or see anything on the crank. Just pull one valve cover, roll the engine over until the keyway on the camshaft is at the top. insert the tool as per instructions. remove cam as per my prior post. When finished installing on one bank, go to the other bank and repeat. I found it is easier on the passenger side if you remove the battery and battery tray, it gives you a lot more room. Obviously, on the drivers side the air box and such will be removed to do that side.

Great writeup on the how-to. There are also some great videos on this. I have been tempted myself - so what's stopping me? I have already had the covers off and done a bunch of stuff...just hate the disconnecting and maneuvering process (especially on the passenger side) I know, call me lazy ...LOL - Painted the covers while I had them over..MUCH nicer than flat aluminum

WP_20170505_10_55_29_Pro 1.jpg

WP_20170506_20_56_11_Pro.jpg