Fuel gauge on 96 cobra is acting up after accident...

tmoneyballin

Aug 16, 2006
Suwanee, GA
Hey I got rear ended a few months ago at a complete stop with the other car going at least 20mph...I stupidly outsourced the repair work to a Ford body shop and they did a ****ty job. They took over a month to replace the bumper and tail lamp on the left side and didn't blend any of the paint. I took the car back to have the proper blend work done a few weeks ago and just got my car back. I noticed that b4 I took the car back a few weeks ago my fuel gauge was all over the charts: a half tank then almost immediately a quarter tank then up to in between the two ranges. I didn't think much of it and the claim is still open(if I need further work) when I noticed today that I started with just shy of a half tank and drove 25 miles, tops, and ended up with the gauge telling me I was just above empty after the trip. Granted I haven't been driving it on "highway" gas mileage standards since getting it back, but I normally drive the car the same way I have recently and its never been off the charts in all directions.

What I want to know is how the configuration of this gauge is set up in the 96 cobras(or all 96's if they are the same..) I had a friend with an 87 5.0 that had his gas gauge whacked out like this- going from a half to empty to a quarter...never knowing where the true fuel level was...

I am wondering with a bad rear end collision that ALMOST totaled my car out-could this be a logical consequence?

Any thoughts or insight are greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)