Fuel gauge pegged to the top, car shuts off

Yeah, this is a great idea :nice:

and when it dies in the middle of an intersection or in traffic where stupid people will do stupid things while on their social media devices (it's not a phone anymore, it's a companion like a therapy animal) like smash into you.
but I digress,

That isnt the way my life works. If it dies completely, it'll be in the middle of no where, no cell service, middle of the night, I'll probably only be carrying my subcompact with no extra magazine, or I'll be on a date with a bikini model that just said something really dirty and wants me to take her ASAP.

But I drove it for about 30 minutes today. Ran the same as it did when I drove it off the lot in October of 1988. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

That isnt the way my life works. If it dies completely, it'll be in the middle of no where, no cell service, middle of the night, I'll probably only be carrying my subcompact with no extra magazine, or I'll be on a date with a bikini model that just said something really dirty and wants me to take her ASAP.

But I drove it for about 30 minutes today. Ran the same as it did when I drove it off the lot in October of 1988. :shrug:
Those sound like fun adventures and Much better than being stuck in traffic.

Do you have a way to check the fuel pressure next time it dies? I have a FP gauge for tuning that hooks to the Schrader valve. It might be worth the fire risk to run with it for a while to eliminate fuel pump issues as a problem. If pressure is still up while cranking but not starting, intermittent ignition component failure is likely. It could be an injector pulse failure issue. Either would be better than dropping the tank again.
In the mean time, have fun studying what jrichker posted to make us wiser.

Check the ignition switch under the dash on the column for the intermittent shut down/no start condition.
My ignition switch had corroded wires and was melted in some places I could not depin those wires so I put a new a switch and new wires kit from LMR and my car feels like it picked up 20 hp and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree so awesome. I changed the ignition key switch to it was loose.

Attachments

• 20220412_025032.jpg
    20220412_025032.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220412_025005.jpg
    20220412_025005.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 33
My ignition switch had corroded wires and was melted in some places I could not depin those wires so I put a new a switch and new wires kit from LMR and my car feels like it picked up 20 hp and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree so awesome. I changed the ignition key switch to it was loose.
I think I've had a couple different issues happening at the same time. I replaced the slosh module and fixed several different problems. But the random dying thing turned into a random cut out, but not dying completely.
Last night, I was driving it and it cut out completely again, I grabbed the key to hit the starter before I rolled to stop and it came back to life instantly.

I think I just figured it out. Switch. I ordered a new one. I also got a handful of new bulbs for the dash. It'd be nice if that was lit all the way around again, too.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I've had a couple different issues happening at the same time. I replaced the slosh module and fixed several different problems. But the random dying thing turned into a random cut out, but not dying completely.
Last night, I was driving it and it cut out completely again, I grabbed the key to hit the starter before I rolled to stop and it came back to life instantly.

I think I just figured it out. Switch. I ordered a new one. I also got a handful of new bulbs for the dash. It'd be nice if that was lit all the way around again, too.
can you take a pic of what you ignition switch looks like when you unplug it?

I also changed my slosh module and my fuel gauge is is normal now it was way up top way past full mark stayed there. Now it works 100% again.