Fuel Injection on Early Model Mustangs

Racin Randy

Jun 16, 2006
I have a 1969 Mustang Convertible that I have put fuel injection on. Problem is that when I get down to about 3 gallons in the tank, the fuel sloshes away from the stock pickup tube and I have no fuel pressure. Aside from putting in a completely different tank with an inside surge tank, or a drop down area to collect the fuel and extend the pickup, has anyone had experience with adding a fuel pump 'sock' to the end of a stock pickup tube? I've heard about this, but never tried it. If so, which sock did you use, and also is there such a thing as a 2 headed sock with it going to both sides of the tank?

Thanks
Racin' Randy

• Sponsors(?)

302 coupe

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2000
Macon, Ga.
I think the sock only works as a pre-filter, sorta. I doubt it would help much with fuel slosh. I think you really only have two choices:
1)baffled, sumped, or foamed tank.
2)keep more than 3 gallons of gas in it, lol.

Steve69

May 11, 2005
If your interested I have a new Header Tank that I bought from a fellow
Mustanger I would sell you. I was going to put EFI on my Mustang and
I finally have my carb working good so I never used it. Its All plumbed
and ready to go. I also have new pumps for it also. There is a pump
in the header tank and a pump between the fuel tank and the header take
to keep the header tank full. If your interested send me a email

[email protected]

Racin Randy

Jun 16, 2006
Sock

Well..................someone, somewhere, somehow, sometime told me that the sock has properties that suck fuel in even if only a partial amount of the sock is submurged.

A surge tank in an original tank is about an $800 option.
Fuel cell and all components is about a $1000 option.

I'm hoping for a $50 option.

R....

57fairlane

Apr 2, 2005
Oakwood, GA
Racin Randy said:
Well..................someone, somewhere, somehow, sometime told me that the sock has properties that suck fuel in even if only a partial amount of the sock is submurged.

A surge tank in an original tank is about an $800 option.
Fuel cell and all components is about a $1000 option.

I'm hoping for a $50 option.

R....
Carburetor, close to the $50 option :D

If I were ever to do a FI tank for a early mustang, I think I would hack it up along with a foxbody one to create one that might work.

68restoman

Jun 5, 2003
Visit site
Back when I was running a stock tank I solved this problem by running a Carter low pressure puller pre-pump. It had enough volume in its reservoir (gold piece in photo below) to provide the main EFI pump with fuel during any momentary loss at the pickup. I've since gone to a Fuel Safe with surge tank but mostly for safety reasons at the track...

68Restoman

66HertzClone

Aug 24, 2004
Central New Jersey
My solution to this problem, keep the tank above the 1/4 level. I decided to go this route for now with my install, I am hoping that someone steps up and offers a tank with an internal pump and baffling that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. This one is real nice http://www.rickshotrodshop.com/ but the cost is just beyond what I can justify right now.

As shown above, the catch tank and low pressure supply pump is an option.

red65

Apr 12, 2003
Ann Arbor, MI
Visit site
68restoman said:
Back when I was running a stock tank I solved this problem by running a Carter low pressure puller pre-pump.
That photograph could almost have been taken from underneath my car - same low-pressure pump, except that I'm running it through a header tank. Is (or was) that Carter pump super-noisy? It's been reliable, but I can barely hear the Walbro high pressure pump in comparison. What's your experience? Sorry for the hijack...

Ronstang

Apr 4, 2004
Houston Texas
I took a different approach. I don't like header tanks because they are simply too much clutter under the vehicle and I don't want 2 fuel pumps because that is just one more thing to fail and leave you stranded.

I prefer intank pumps because they are much quieter and are a cleaner install. I modified a 1970 tank to gain the extra volume since I was going to the effort. The baffle is patterned loosely off of a Taurus and I can use any production/aftermarket pump that fits a Ford. You can see it here:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hertzshelby66/album?.dir=/6fdb&.src=ph&.tok=phGCZCFBq6z31kvG

The nice thing about this setup is I can change a fuel pump in less than an hour without laying on my back with nothing more than a few hand tools with a near full tank of gas.

Jimmys66

Founding Member
Nov 28, 2001
Paw Paw MI
Visit site
red65 said:
That photograph could almost have been taken from underneath my car - same low-pressure pump, except that I'm running it through a header tank. Is (or was) that Carter pump super-noisy? It's been reliable, but I can barely hear the Walbro high pressure pump in comparison. What's your experience? Sorry for the hijack...

I've got one of the 110 gph pumps and oh yea, it's noisy. Everyone has a confused funny look on their face when I turn on the ignition. They just can't figure out what the hell that noise is.:rlaugh:

You're right it's been extremely reliable, 13+years.

mtbdoc

Nov 2, 2003
Ronstang said:
I took a different approach. I don't like header tanks because they are simply too much clutter under the vehicle and I don't want 2 fuel pumps because that is just one more thing to fail and leave you stranded.

I prefer intank pumps because they are much quieter and are a cleaner install. I modified a 1970 tank to gain the extra volume since I was going to the effort. The baffle is patterned loosely off of a Taurus and I can use any production/aftermarket pump that fits a Ford. You can see it here:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hertzshelby66/album?...

The nice thing about this setup is I can change a fuel pump in less than an hour without laying on my back with nothing more than a few hand tools with a near full tank of gas.
Sorry, but your photo link is empty. I'd really like to see what you've done...but yahoo says "no pictures".

Thanks!

Booksix

Dec 8, 2003
San Diego, CA
www.cdbaby.com
Hey Ronstang... I know this post is sort of old, but your picture link on yahoo is empty again. I really want to see what you put together... could you possibly repost the pics? thanks!

chepsk8

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2001
Easton, PA
www.chepsk8.stangnet.com
Randy,

Pics! What color? We have a small, but dedicated crew of 69 'Vert owners here.

On my FFR Cobra, I mad a custom pick-up that was just above the fuel tank floor. How a bout a custom pick-up?

BTW, who's FI?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J No Fuel injection Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
M Fuel injection 94 5.0 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 3
B Electrical 1986 gt Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
IN2DEEP Fuel Injection swap - power during cranking? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 1
O Possible Fuel Injection upgrade?? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 2
L For Sale 1968 Mustang Coupe - 5.0 with Holley Sniper EFI - Houston, Texas Classic Mustangs For Sale 2
Tubbster66 SOLD 1966 Mustang Coupe - Fuel Injected Classic Mustangs For Sale 2
V SOLD Fi Tech Go 8 Fuel Injection System Engine and Power Adder 1
V SOLD Fi Tech Go 8 Fuel Injection Sustem Engine and Power Adder 3
Paul98 1986 Fuel Injected To Carb Swap Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 24
tjmaxx Carb Vs Fuel Injection Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 14
FrankenStang88 Crate Engines And Fuel Delivery 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 7
D Steady Rpm Cam Hop? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
R What Sinals Does The Fuel Injection Need? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
krazedstang SN95 Carb To Fuel Injection Conversion. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 9
Amber Midkiff 2001 Mustang Gt Fuel Problem? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
D Electrical Cranks Ok, But No Start Checklist For Fuel Injected Mustangs SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 3
C Fuel Injecting My '83 Mustang 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 4
Calypso Cruiser Fuel Injected 351w Into Foxbody Mustang Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
horseballz A Likely Dumb Fuel Injection Question(s) Classic Mustang Specific Tech 14
Old Skooler Converting To Fuel Injection 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 2
KyleEBK 351 Cleveland Into 302 Fuel Injected 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 46
K Engine Which Heads And Fuel Injection? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 0
CarMichael Angelo Fuel Injection Questions 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 3
CarMichael Angelo Progress Thread 1978 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler. Down to the wire... 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 11959
Noobz347 Reference Cranks OK, but No Start Checklist for Fuel Injected Mustangs - Fox/SN95 5.0L Resource Discussion Forum 2
sixty7stang Fuel Injection Classic Mustang Specific Tech 8
95CobraStang SOLD Brand New 5.0 Efi Wiring Harness (to Fuel Inject Your Classic Mustang Interior Exterior Parts 1
mustangmutt 5.0 Fuel Injection Classic Mustang Specific Tech 5
S staying with fuel injection 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 9
7991LXnSHO Test Fuel Injection while car is apart? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
Blown88GT Ford Fuel Injection Website Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 19
M I want to go fuel injected Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
hsean fuel injection harness 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 13
HOOKERBEAR Fuel injection questions Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
S 1988 Notch Fuel Injected or 4 barrel Carb which is better! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 28
B Complete Fuel Injection setup for windsor Engine and Power Adder 0
F For sale: K&N Fuel injection performance Kit (intake) Engine and Power Adder Parts 0
O Whats best fuel injection or carbonation? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
O Will fuel injection still work if the distributor is unhooked? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
1stanger1 1999 mustang 5.0 fuel injected show worthy or not? Regional Forums and Event Information 0
1stanger1 fuel injected 302 engine run on key off Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
W After market fuel injection?? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 10
joedokes28 289 to Explorer 5.0 Fuel Injection Classic Mustang Specific Tech 13
G Affordable Fuel Injection Classic Mustang Specific Tech 7
S fuel injection conversion for classic's Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
V 91 LX fuel injected/ AOD to Carb/c4.. help.. advice.. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
1 Fuel injection VS carb. 500hp engine. Classic Mustang Specific Tech 31
J Help!!! fuel injection on a carb intake 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 3
T how do you make a fuel injected a carb Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12