Fuel Injection on Early Model Mustangs

Racin Randy

Jun 16, 2006
I have a 1969 Mustang Convertible that I have put fuel injection on. Problem is that when I get down to about 3 gallons in the tank, the fuel sloshes away from the stock pickup tube and I have no fuel pressure. Aside from putting in a completely different tank with an inside surge tank, or a drop down area to collect the fuel and extend the pickup, has anyone had experience with adding a fuel pump 'sock' to the end of a stock pickup tube? I've heard about this, but never tried it. If so, which sock did you use, and also is there such a thing as a 2 headed sock with it going to both sides of the tank?

Thanks
Racin' Randy

• Sponsors (?)

I think the sock only works as a pre-filter, sorta. I doubt it would help much with fuel slosh. I think you really only have two choices:
1)baffled, sumped, or foamed tank.
2)keep more than 3 gallons of gas in it, lol.

If your interested I have a new Header Tank that I bought from a fellow
Mustanger I would sell you. I was going to put EFI on my Mustang and
I finally have my carb working good so I never used it. Its All plumbed
and ready to go. I also have new pumps for it also. There is a pump
in the header tank and a pump between the fuel tank and the header take
to keep the header tank full. If your interested send me a email

[email protected]

Sock

Well..................someone, somewhere, somehow, sometime told me that the sock has properties that suck fuel in even if only a partial amount of the sock is submurged.

A surge tank in an original tank is about an $800 option.
Fuel cell and all components is about a $1000 option.

I'm hoping for a $50 option.

R....

Racin Randy said:
Well..................someone, somewhere, somehow, sometime told me that the sock has properties that suck fuel in even if only a partial amount of the sock is submurged.

A surge tank in an original tank is about an $800 option.
Fuel cell and all components is about a $1000 option.

I'm hoping for a $50 option.

R....

Carburetor, close to the $50 option :D

If I were ever to do a FI tank for a early mustang, I think I would hack it up along with a foxbody one to create one that might work.

Back when I was running a stock tank I solved this problem by running a Carter low pressure puller pre-pump. It had enough volume in its reservoir (gold piece in photo below) to provide the main EFI pump with fuel during any momentary loss at the pickup. I've since gone to a Fuel Safe with surge tank but mostly for safety reasons at the track...

68Restoman

519500_17_full.jpg

519500_80_full.jpg

My solution to this problem, keep the tank above the 1/4 level. I decided to go this route for now with my install, I am hoping that someone steps up and offers a tank with an internal pump and baffling that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. This one is real nice http://www.rickshotrodshop.com/ but the cost is just beyond what I can justify right now.

As shown above, the catch tank and low pressure supply pump is an option.

68restoman said:
Back when I was running a stock tank I solved this problem by running a Carter low pressure puller pre-pump.

That photograph could almost have been taken from underneath my car - same low-pressure pump, except that I'm running it through a header tank. Is (or was) that Carter pump super-noisy? It's been reliable, but I can barely hear the Walbro high pressure pump in comparison. What's your experience? Sorry for the hijack...

I took a different approach. I don't like header tanks because they are simply too much clutter under the vehicle and I don't want 2 fuel pumps because that is just one more thing to fail and leave you stranded.

I prefer intank pumps because they are much quieter and are a cleaner install. I modified a 1970 tank to gain the extra volume since I was going to the effort. The baffle is patterned loosely off of a Taurus and I can use any production/aftermarket pump that fits a Ford. You can see it here:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hertzshelby66/album?.dir=/6fdb&.src=ph&.tok=phGCZCFBq6z31kvG

The nice thing about this setup is I can change a fuel pump in less than an hour without laying on my back with nothing more than a few hand tools with a near full tank of gas.

red65 said:
That photograph could almost have been taken from underneath my car - same low-pressure pump, except that I'm running it through a header tank. Is (or was) that Carter pump super-noisy? It's been reliable, but I can barely hear the Walbro high pressure pump in comparison. What's your experience? Sorry for the hijack...

I've got one of the 110 gph pumps and oh yea, it's noisy. Everyone has a confused funny look on their face when I turn on the ignition. They just can't figure out what the hell that noise is.:rlaugh:

You're right it's been extremely reliable, 13+years.

Ronstang said:
I took a different approach. I don't like header tanks because they are simply too much clutter under the vehicle and I don't want 2 fuel pumps because that is just one more thing to fail and leave you stranded.

I prefer intank pumps because they are much quieter and are a cleaner install. I modified a 1970 tank to gain the extra volume since I was going to the effort. The baffle is patterned loosely off of a Taurus and I can use any production/aftermarket pump that fits a Ford. You can see it here:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hertzshelby66/album?...

The nice thing about this setup is I can change a fuel pump in less than an hour without laying on my back with nothing more than a few hand tools with a near full tank of gas.

Sorry, but your photo link is empty. I'd really like to see what you've done...but yahoo says "no pictures".

Thanks!

Randy,

Pics! What color? We have a small, but dedicated crew of 69 'Vert owners here.

On my FFR Cobra, I mad a custom pick-up that was just above the fuel tank floor. How a bout a custom pick-up?

BTW, who's FI?