Fuel Leak

Venom351R

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
MAINE
I thought I could smell fuel when driving it yesterday but dismissed it as coming from somewher else. I could smell it again today so when I got back hom I poped the hood and found this. Appears as though it is coming from the first injector, any idea on what could cause this and how unsafe is it to drive the Mustang with it like this?

004.jpg

View attachment 322910

• Sponsors (?)

i'm no expert, but i believe there's an o-ring on the injector. So i would suspect that if the oring was to dry out and crack the seal would be compromised.
i guess it would either come form were the injector meets the rail or the lower intake
and i wouldn't drive it with a fuel leak, all you need is some to get on a hot header and poof.

TB is correct. Borg Warner makes them. Pep Boys for one used to sell the kits. You can try part number 274081

If you wanna replace them all down the line or can not drive the car till you do fix it, you can score a kit to do all 8 injectors for a lot cheaper online.

As said, DON'T DRIVE the car. That's a huge fire waiting to happen.

Good luck.

TB is correct. Borg Warner makes them. Pep Boys for one used to sell the kits. You can try part number 274081

If you wanna replace them all down the line or can not drive the car till you do fix it, you can score a kit to do all 8 injectors for a lot cheaper online.

As said, DON'T DRIVE the car. That's a huge fire waiting to happen.

Good luck.

yeah Im not going to chance it. Im having a bunch of things installed on the car in May it may have to wait until then before I drive it since the intake has to come off anyway.

Thanks for the Part #

Also what does that red wire go to in the second picture thats plugged in right in front of the injector? I noticed that it was frayed pretty bad and almost in two peices.

I recommend you pick up the kit that comes with the pintle cap as well as the o-rings for both the top and bottom of the injector.
They sell them at napa and other parts stores for a few bucks each injector.

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...ber=212085&Description=Fuel+Injector+Seal+Kit

thanks thats a good idea. I'll get it for all 8 Id have to go through this again if another one fails 2 months from now and starts a fire under my hood. I just hope its not all for nothing and I end up having to upgrade to bigger injectors after I get the mods done next month.

also, just gotta throw this in there, but make sure the fuel rail is bolted down right. I had a similar problem when I forgot to tighten down one of the bolts after an intake install, except I was spewing fuel all over the place, and it wasnt a small leak.

also, just gotta throw this in there, but make sure the fuel rail is bolted down right. I had a similar problem when I forgot to tighten down one of the bolts after an intake install, except I was spewing fuel all over the place, and it wasnt a small leak.

I did try and move the rail around and it did not appear to be lose. It seems to only be coming from the front injector and maybe the one behind it but its hard to tell with the intake on.

I did try and move the rail around and it did not appear to be lose. It seems to only be coming from the front injector and maybe the one behind it but its hard to tell with the intake on.

I'm not sure if the kit includes the filter basket along with the O rings. For $60 you can have the injectors cleaned with new O rings and filters installed. Well worth it IMHO if there are 75k miles or more on them.

I'll try NAPA tomorrow, There was one fuel injector place right in my town but they only deal with diesel equipment. Thanks for all the suggestions. If all else fails I'll order the O ring kit from summit and just replace them.

I'll try NAPA tomorrow, There was one fuel injector place right in my town but they only deal with diesel equipment. Thanks for all the suggestions. If all else fails I'll order the O ring kit from summit and just replace them.

Give them a call. Mine were done at a shop that normally only works on diesel equipment. You might be surprised.