fuel leaking from top of gas tank

greengoblin95

Sep 29, 2009
installed the new fuel pump in my car and i finally filled the car up full. i just got home and it appears that im leaking fuel from the top and it is pouring out from the left side of the tank. where the tank unscrews where the fuel level sending unit is, is there an o ring that fits under that cap? i dont remember seeing it when i pulled it off but i am wondering if that is the problem. i know theres an o ring under the fuel pump cap. has anyone had this problem. dont think theres a hole in the tank, it would of leaked this passed weekend

• Sponsors (?)

It could be leaking up top if you didn't get the O-ring back in place, but the usual spot for leaks is where the filler neck goes into the tank. If you don't replace the grommet, it has a tendency to tear, or become disformed and then it doesn't seal when you reinsert the filler neck. Latemodel Restoration Supply had it for like $20, the last I had checked, or you should still be able to pick it up from the dealer's parts counter.

im pretty sure its the lack of the oring under the lock ring. now the car being inclined is not helping it im sure. guess i know what ill be doing this weekend. just trying to see if anyone else has this issue

I am having the same issue right now. I am replacing the O ring this weekend. It either came off and fell inside when I dropped the tank, or part of it came off. Either way it has to be changed. Do you get a fuel odor when you make left turns, usually when your window is down.

it was a strong smell for the few minutes it took me to get back home from the gas station. seeing how the fuel level sending unit side is shallower than the fuel pump size, the sloshing fuel just kept leaking from that cap, or it seems lol. premium just wasted :nonono: