Fuel Line Help

hskrs10

Dec 21, 2004
Nebraska
so I was trying to change my Fuel Filter and is seems that the last owner tried to change it, and used a screw driver. The clip is broke and I cant get the disconect tool in to release the filter. I found Doorman makes some Fuel Line repair kit but It comes in 2 sizes, a 5/16" or 3/8" does anyone know what size will fit a 1998 Mustang GT?

• Sponsors (?)

There are two "clips" - there is the external 'safety' clip, then there is the internal connection. First, is it the external clip that you are fighting with?
Second, if it's the internal, are you using the right tool? The worst tool is this:
25043.jpg

The best would be these simple plastic ones like this:
OTC-7361-detail.jpg

It can be a bit of a struggle to get it to release...

Let us know...

+1 on the small plastic tools. i use those and it can be a pain but with a little patience and while pushing the clip in, kinda pull away and twist the filter. it should come out. You definitely dont want to use one of those metal tools.

I'm having a hard time getting the internal clip off, But since I'm using the metal tool maybe thats my problem. I'll get the plastic tool and try it first before I stat cutting the old line out and put a new one in.

that metal tool gents is actually one of the better tools to use in replacing ford fuel filters...its all in how u use the tool...i have replaced i dont know how many fuel filters here the the ford dealership i work at with that tool without a problem... i would guesstimate well over 200 or so.. never one issue and u dont have the trouble with limited room like u do with the plastic ones...