fuel pump eccentric and camshaft ?'s

89_LX

Sep 16, 2007
Bellingham, WA
I bought a rebuilt engine to install in my 89 mustang to replace the stock 5liter HO

The block was from an older vehicle and is just a 302 bored .040 over
my first question is about the cam sprocket/timing chain. on the cam sprocket there is something bolted onto it which i think is a 2pc. fuel pump eccentric. im wondering if this is necessary when using the older block or if i can remove it because its going in a newer car. (im going to upgrade to a double roller chain)

my second question is about the camshaft. i was reading online and heard that the firing order is different and the 5.0 HO uses the 351W fiting order. so i am assuming that i will need to install a HO style cam to work with my EFI setup but not sure if this is true. if so im planning on an E303

this engine was built to go into an older carbeurated truck, I was ready to install the engine this weekend until i read this info , and any other info you may have or problems i may run into during this swap would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

well, if you are going to be using a carb and a mechanical fuel pump, you need to re-use that 2 pc fuel pump eccentric. But you're using EFI, so I think you can just take it off, but you can also leave it on, it won't hurt anything. All roller cams use the 351W firing order of 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 and all flat tappet cams are 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 unless any of them are special cams or specially ground for you. So plan on the HO/351W firing order with your E-303.

You need to figure out exactly what you have and what you want.

It appears that you have a 2 pc fuel pump eccentric, bolted to a flat tappet cam.

You should have the correct fuel pump drive dowel for the end of the cam and the correct bolt that holds the eccentric and cam gear to the cam. The dowel length and bolt vary between one piece and two piece fuel pump eccentrics, and an efi roller motor may be different ( I have not looked at one of those yet).

The fuel pump eccentric will not make any significant difference in balance, and if you don't need it, it can be removed. Just make sure you have a matching cam gear drive dowel and a gear retention bolt that fits properly.

Can be a pita, but several different setups will all work fine.

One more thing to add that I hope doesn't throw a wrench in your plans. Is the engine you picked up a roller block? If not, it's not just a simple cam swap and you're off and running. You'll need to convert to roller and run some of the link-bar lifters, or run a small base circle cam. Dropping a standard hydraulic roller lifter into the shorter lifter bores on a non-roller block means even if you've drilled and tapped the lifter valley for the spider and dogbones, if you don't run the small base circle on the cam, you'll starve the lifters of oil everytime they raise too high out of the bore and the oil holes are exposed.

and all flat tappet cams are 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 unless any of them are special cams or specially ground for you.

.....Except for the 25 years worth of flat tappet cams that came in pre-roller 351Ws starting in '69 and the aftermarket cams manufactured for them.

I have heard the older engines were balanced with the pump eccentric on it and you are supposed to keep it on even if not used, but I really don't know for sure.

The cam components are not taken into consideration when balancing any Ford pushrod engine. In fact, they're not manually balanced at all; only the crank and attached hardware is.

If you decide to keep the eccentric, just make sure that it fits under the timing cover with the double roller timing set. I have heard of occasional interference.

Which doesn't matter because he can use one of those flat tappet 351W cams in the 302 in order to have the proper HO/351W firing order for the fuel injection.

It was already mentioned that the old 302 block won't be roller cam ready and conversion kits cost a lot, so a standard flat tappet 351W cam is a cheaper option.

He wanted to know the firing order of the flat tappet 302 cam in his block, so that's the information I gave. All 302 flat tappet cams are the old firing order unless specially ground or made.

"if so im planning on an E303"

He did not say the block is not roller compatible, and he says he plans on using an E-303 if he does need to change the cam. Maybe his block is not roller compatible and maybe he doesn't know, but you're assuming too much.

All 302 flat tappet cams are the old firing order unless specially ground or made.

Before you simply said "and all flat tappet cams are 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 unless any of them are special cams or specially ground for you," which is incorrect. If you had said "all flat 302 cams...." in the first place, I wouldn't have disagreed.

Maybe his block is not roller compatible and maybe he doesn't know, but you're assuming too much.

The thing I assumed was that the OP didn't already know what I said. I didn't guess one way or the other what the engine block is; I provided information applicable in the event that it's a non-roller block. If it's a roller block, great, get a roller cam. If not, flat tappet 351W cams are readily available and much cheaper than a roller conversion kit. Done, both options covered.

Yeah, the guy told me it was a roller i didnt think to ask him what year of vehicle it came out of but i took off the valve covers,and intake and... its not a roller. i guess i shouldnt have assumed all he said about the engine was right, now i doubt he even built it as he claimed.

I haven't done anything to the engine yet so im planning on selling it and try to get what i paid for it back, then ill rebuild my stock 5.0

thanks for all the help and info.:hail2: