Fuel pump problem !!!

tidrow55

Jul 26, 2006
Ok so I just bought a 1992 lx vert 5.0 I had a friend go pick it up for me. I went to pick it up from him and started the car and pulled it out of the garage and it shut off and I could not get it to start back up. There is no pressure at the Schrader valve. I checked the fuel pump shut off switch by the driver’s side taillight and it was pressed down got it popped up and still nothing. Should it be down or up? Imp thinking it’s the fuel pump what do you guys think? You cant here the pump run when you cycle the key.

Thanks, Dwayne

• Sponsors (?)

Check the FP relay with your meter. Key off, look for one terminal with 12 volts. Key on during the prime-out period, look for 3 terminals with 12 volts and one ground. Key on after the prime out, look for 2 wires with 12 volts.
This 1 minute of testing reveals quite a bit.
I'd give wire colors but I dont have them to give (on your 92).
Good luck.

Update:
I thought the battery was getting weak so I hooked up the charger and the fuel pump comes on when the key is cycled. Take the charger off and the pump wont work. Put a new battery in and it still won’t work unless the charger is hooked up.

I put a fuel pressure gauge on at the Schrader valve. When the charger is on the pressure goes up to 41psi but it does it very slowly and the pump does not shut off after this psi is reached. You can hear a clicking at the fuel rails. I guess it is the injectors. But it still won’t start.
Any help? This thing is driving me crazy not running.