Fuel Fuel Sending Unit Leak: Urgent

paddyrk

Jun 7, 2018
Dublin, OH
I have a 1991 Fox Body Mustang with a 347 stroker swap. I installed a high volume pump and new sending unit into my fuel tank a year ago, and every since, it isn't able to click off at the gas pump. This has been manageable up until I installed a Holley Digital Dash, and had to rewire the fuel sending unit wiring. After dropping the tank to try and fix the leak, I thought I had it: the sealed seemed tight, and I replaced the filler neck grommet as well. I took it to the gas station, filled it up, and once I hit 14 gallons, I knew it wasn't right, it was low, but not that low, then a few seconds later it came pouring out from one of the baffles in the casing on the left side. I got home and after the leaking was nearly done, I reached up and felt that the sending unit was all wet on top, and the other connections/possible leak locations were bone dry. The sending unit now barely reads anything, so I don't know how much fuel I have, and I don't know I'm full until I overfill it.

Bottom line: Is it possible that the sending unit seal was not done correctly, and since it was covered in gasoline, is it now ruined? Is the easiest way to troubleshoot this to jsut replace the sending unit and sending unit seal?

Any help[ is appreciated, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)