Fuel system questions

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
When I rebuilt my engine last year I went with low compression (9.5:1) with the intention of adding a turbo in the future. After looking at fuel systems, plus the cost of the turbos, I'm not so sure I want to put that much more money into my car. So now I'm thinking of picking up a used S/T trim for 6-10psi, which would put me around 550-600rwhp or more. Without spending $1800 on a fuel system, what are my options for feeding this monster?

Here's what I'm looking at now...I currently have a Walbro in-tank 255 that should support close to 500rwhp. If I add a Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump and bigger fuel rails/injectors, will that support 600rwhp? How much hp will the stock fuel lines support?

My next option I'm looking at is a single(dual?) Walbro GSL392 external pump, BAP, fuel pickup tube GRANATELLI GM-TI7998 Mustang Fuel Tank Pickup Tube, and SS lines. I know this setup with dual pumps will work for 600+rwhp, but I've also seen some reports that a single pump with BAP will support 600rwhp(or at least 550)...

I don't want to skimp on the fuel system, I just don't want to spend more on it than I spend on the blower setup.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi
I just bought a Glenn Performance dual Walbro setup. Didn't want too!! :rolleyes:
Found that I needed it when I ran out of fuel while tuning. I was at 507 and heading to 550 to 600rwhp but didn't make it. I had/have a Walbro 255 in tank and a t-rex, Don't know if it was the fuel lines or pumps that held me back.
That said I can't find anything in between. You can use the 255 and a Kenne Bell bap or the new Aeromotive stealth 340 (good for 700 FWHp 0r 600RWHp) and be on the edge... not a good thing or step up to the full thing... That is what I found.
Good luck on your search.

Yeah I was looking at that kit. It's the best price I found, and probably what I'll go with if I need to. Post some pics once you get it installed. I'm interested to see how the pumps are mounted.

I have another question on the fueling requirements for boost vs. NA... Boost needs more fuel pressure and runs richer than NA, therefore you need more fuel at the same HP with boost. How does that scale? Will you need a bigger fuel system for 600rwhp with 20psi vs 600rwhp with 8psi?

Yeah I was looking at that kit. It's the best price I found, and probably what I'll go with if I need to. Post some pics once you get it installed. I'm interested to see how the pumps are mounted.

I have another question on the fueling requirements for boost vs. NA... Boost needs more fuel pressure and runs richer than NA, therefore you need more fuel at the same HP with boost. How does that scale? Will you need a bigger fuel system for 600rwhp with 20psi vs 600rwhp with 8psi?

From my thread on the corral..

Yes it does take more fuel for a boost application than a N/A setup. There is a calculator somewhere??? I'll look around.
Fuel systems which one - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

View attachment 192600