Fun Pics of my old clutch...

TeriiK

Jun 20, 2003
...one gear on an 80 shot did this... the clutch did have 85k on it though, i cant complain :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• clutchpic1.jpg
    clutchpic1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 434
  • Sponsors (?)

here is the crazy thing, this was on the test run of the nitrous kit. 2nd gear, floored it, squeezed at 3200 or so...the car snapped my neck so damn hard, i saw the tach race up, i went for 3rd gear, and the clutch just went to the floor and didnt come back up lol. i knew instantly what it was, i had kinda expected it, squeezing on a stock clutch and all. i replaced it with a SPEC Racing Stage 1 clutch, and a Quadrant Cable adjuster w/ firewall adjustment (stock cable doesnt work for SPEC Clutches)

right after i installed that, i had a little incident in which my hood was summarily destroyed, sooo the car has been in the shop getting paint and an 03 Cobra hood...i get the car back tomorrow, the wait has been killing me.

c2see21 said:
:doh: not what i wanted to hear

depends on your mileage bro, if ur pushing 60k or more on a stock clutch, squeezing will shorten its life fast. SPEC Racing clutch is cheap, good for 400+ rwhp, and partsshopper has them. the quadrant is a must, but its really not that bad of an install, but note this if u do buy it. mid way along the cable, there is a brass mounting bracket that goes where the stock mounting bracket was, along the left side of your engine bay. pry the crimp apart, and throw it away. take some big zip ties, and just make sure the cable isnt near the exhaust. this bracket is poorly made, and binds the cable up in the shaft, giving the illusion that you have a VERY stiff clutch, when you dont.

TeriiK said:
here is the crazy thing, this was on the test run of the nitrous kit. 2nd gear, floored it, squeezed at 3200 or so...the car snapped my neck so damn hard, i saw the tach race up, i went for 3rd gear, and the clutch just went to the floor and didnt come back up lol. i knew instantly what it was, i had kinda expected it, squeezing on a stock clutch and all. i replaced it with a SPEC Racing Stage 1 clutch, and a Quadrant Cable adjuster w/ firewall adjustment (stock cable doesnt work for SPEC Clutches)

right after i installed that, i had a little incident in which my hood was summarily destroyed, sooo the car has been in the shop getting paint and an 03 Cobra hood...i get the car back tomorrow, the wait has been killing me.

You mention that the stock cable does not work good with the spec stage 1 clutch.....I just had a stage 1 spec clutch installed....i am at 700 miles (past break in period) and the clutch sound horrible compared to the stock clutch I had. I am experiencing a constant tweaking sound coming from it. The tweaking only goes away when I depress the clutch pedal. And when I rev my engine a lil the tewaking is faster . Could this be a bad throw out bearing(provided by SPEC) or do i need a whole new cable?????? I took it to the Mechanic who installed the clutch and he said the cable was fine...and to let it break in more...and maybe that sound will go away. Any advice??? how is your clutch doing? did u have any similar problems? :bang:

sounds like you got a bad throwout bearing from spec. as for the cable adjust, maybe the tremecs have more slack in the shifter fork than my T45, my clutch wouldnt even engage without the quadrant cable adjuster. how is the clutch gripping, is the engagment fast and hard if you sidestep it?

TeriiK said:
sounds like you got a bad throwout bearing from spec. as for the cable adjust, maybe the tremecs have more slack in the shifter fork than my T45, my clutch wouldnt even engage without the quadrant cable adjuster. how is the clutch gripping, is the engagment fast and hard if you sidestep it?

The clutch itself HOLDS! what I expected....I can chirp the wheels going into 3rd......everything is fine besides that damn annoying tweaking sound. Do you think SPEC would send me another bearing? and pay for the labor install?

Yeah I think I'm going to have to upgrade to a Spec2 clutch. I ran my Nitrous on the track for the first time this past weekend, (my dyno is 351RWHP) and when I hit 3rd gear the car (while in gear) just free-reved up to redline. So i know the stock clutch isn't going to hold the power I have now.

As for the comment about the fitting on the clutch cable... what exactly to you mean about the brass fitting binding?

Mike