Functioning of limited slip vs standard diff in the snow

This may be a little off topic, but

I was driving in the snow today (my '91 bird, not the classic) and going up hill, the tires are slipping (of course). Left, right, left, right, keep it lightly on the gas and find your way up the hill (aka parking ramp of course).

Now, I heard limited slip will send you end over end if you are not careful. However, a standard diff will fish tail all the way on you (like mine does).

If you have a limited slip diff, and you go slow enough, shouldn't it keep you going and from getting stuck without the fish tailing? (ie the reason it is on option on off roading mudd monsters) Ok, maybe a little fish tailing, but not as much?

I guess I don't understand how a limited slip helps in the snow/mudd vs a standard diff.

Is it limited slip keeps you going, but if you lose it, bye bye and a standard diff is more forgiving but more prone to getting stuck?

I kind of got thinking about this from that big limited vs standard diff thread a few months ago, but now that snow hit, I find my self wondering about the other option and if it is better or if the grass is always just greener on the other side of the fence.

P.S. I have never driven a limited slip car. So feel free to school me on the topic. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The thing to watch with a posi or limited slip on slick roads is downshifting. Go down too many gears and you'll lock up the rear tires, putting it into a skid. Have the wheel cut too hard and you'll do a 180 in a heartbeat. Going forward under power, just use unly enough to keep it moving without spinning the tires.

my latest experience with a limited slip in the snow/ice was my 93 jeep cherokee and it was much better to drive in the snow than other vehicles without limited slip, you do have to be careful giving it too much gas or downshifting or you will do some nice donuts but if you are careful it's much better than an open rearend. now i can't say thata true locker would work the same in the snow but to me the limited slip diff is a blessing in snow/ice.

not sure if many of you are aware of this but some older ford owners manuals call the second gear position on the shifter (marked with an S in most cases) a "snow gear" starting in 2nd gear, auto trans BTW, will give you more traction than starting out in 1st gear. just an FYI

Thanks, these were the answers I was looking for. And the thread you suggested, was the one I talked about in my original post. I read that thread, but it didn't talk about limited vs posi to snow/mudd, but it did include a few stories.

It's really pretty simple. A limited slip diff locks both tires together. That means you have more traction available when compared to an open diff. However, it also means that if you try to apply too much power to the tires, both will be spinning. When both tires spin, the rear end will come around front very easily.

In the snow if you are trying to get the most traction possible you never want to spin the tires. Spinning them generates heat which will melt the snow and reduce your traction.

If you're having trouble driving in the snow, I recommend you get a good set of tires. I've driven a Cougar XR-7 with Blizzaks and that thing really took off great in the snow - I'd walk away from 4wd vehicles. Don't just put good tires on the back (buy a complete set), you'll have a terrible time trying to stop or trying to turn when the brakes are applied!

Good luck.

a limited slip diff will aid in driving in the snow by equalizing the power delivered to the rear wheels. remember that with an open diff, if oyu lose traction on one wheel, that wheel gets all the power sent to it, where as with the limited slip, both wheels get about the same amount of power. if the tires suck though, you wont get that much gain.

as for the old "snow drive" you dont gain traction so much as you lose torque multiplication, which makes it harder to spin the tires from a standing start.

a limited slip diff will aid in driving in the snow by equalizing the power delivered to the rear wheels. remember that with an open diff, if oyu lose traction on one wheel, that wheel gets all the power sent to it, where as with the limited slip, both wheels get about the same amount of power. if the tires suck though, you wont get that much gain.

as for the old "snow drive" you dont gain traction so much as you lose torque multiplication, which makes it harder to spin the tires from a standing start.

you are correct about the "snow drive" but the net affect is more traction because the tires aren't spinning.