Funny oil change question

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
This is kinda silly but i'm not real sure which is worse...

My oil needs changed after doing an intake swap and getting a bunch of coolant in the oil. So, which is better to do as far as changing it....and keep in mind the car hasn't been started in a good 2 weeks:

1) Start it and warm it up....hoping that it heats up the oil and more of the bad stuff comes out

2) just change it without running it hoping that more of the coolant has settled down in the oil pan.

The reason i'm curious is because i'm not sure if running it with the coolant in it and circulating it would be worse than changing the coil with it being 40 degrees and cold out. What i may do is just change it with some cheap oil and run it around the block and then change it again.

• Sponsors (?)

yea that whole oil is thicker than water thing is actually true...

change it ASAP, two weeks is already too long, the coolant will contaminate your bearings.

My old 302 blew a couple head gaskets, i didnt drive the car at all with coolant in the pan, th only time it ran with the blown gasket was when it was at the end of the dyno pass. When i removed the bearings from the motor you could see where contamination was occurring.

Dont drag your feet on this, it's gonna cost you $20 bucks in oil or pulling your motor to put a fresh set of bearings in it.