fuse to tach keeps blowing HELP!!

joebeez

Jul 15, 2004
utah
i'm just curious if this is common and if anyone can help me. my car was running fine and then one day i was driving and the tach just stopped, pulled over, the fuse had blown, so i swapped it. 2 min down the road it popped again. I do have an msd coil, i;m not sure if that coulb have anything to do with it, but i like everything to work. please help!!! thx

• Sponsors (?)

fuse 18 has a bunch of stuff on it. i would check each item and its wiring. if all else fails, disconnect each thing and reconnect them one at a time - when you plug something in and the fuse blows, you have likely found your short. then dissect the circuit for that component.

good luck.

well this is an amateur saying this.. i've heard of people having fuses blown after swapping to msd ignition parts.. if this is the case, try putting in a bigger fuse. maybe 5 or 10 bigger then whats in there.. if that doesn't work, then there might be a slight ground of one of the wires.... check al connections that have to do with that fuse, if nothing is grounding out, then try replacing the fuse.. if that doesn't work, then im all outta idea.. 1 year in college for this doesn't tell me much.. SORRY!!

You dont want to swap in a bigger fuse unless you KNOW that the larger current flow is from your modifications AND that the wiring can handle the load.

It may work fine for a while( with a larger fuse), but there is a good chance that it will smoke the wiring and possibly burn down the car.

Call MSD and talk to them. See what they say. You can also check to see if the ignition even runs off of that fuse circuit.

hllon4whls said:
You dont want to swap in a bigger fuse unless you KNOW that the larger current flow is from your modifications AND that the wiring can handle the load.
right on!
It may work fine for a while( with a larger fuse), but there is a good chance that it will smoke the wiring and possibly burn down the car.

right on!

hllon4whls said:
You can also check to see if the ignition even runs off of that fuse circuit.
the ignition has its own fusible link - that fuse is just for the tach, as i recall.