G force gear set 2.94 or 2.42

nozler

Dec 18, 2011
I need to rebuild my t5. Right now it has the stock first gear, 3.35, and 410 gears. The first gear is non existant. I have to shift before I get through the intersection. The 410 gears turned out to be a bit much for my T5 but I need to rebuild the tranny anyhow because it is whining really bad so I suspect bearings are going out.

Anyhow, I would like to bring first gear back to life.

I can get a z spec transmission fully built for 1300 and it has a 2.95 first gear vs. the stock 3.35.

However, G force offers a gear set only for 1300 with a 2.42 first gear, but the gears are stronger than the z spec gears.

Which do think would be better?

At first I was considering the z spec with the 2.95 first gear which might get through an intersection before having to shift, but the 410 gears accellerate so fast I figured I'd still have the same problem. I know the 2.42 wouldn't have this problem but I wasn't sure just how much torque I'd lose going with such a long gear.

The z spec has a .63 OD and the G force has a .59 so obviously the g force would be better on the interstate if I ever did end up there.

What do you all think would work better with the 410 gears?

• Sponsors (?)

If you have a big cube engine or a supercharger/turbocharger with a lot of low end power, the 2.42 first gear would be good. The 4.10 rear gear may work out to give you some first gear use when combined with a 2.42 first. You will probably find that the transmission ratios are closly spaced and intended more for road racing than a drag strip.