Gas in the oil!!!

67stangboy

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2002
Granite City
Ok I spent the weekend trying to get my mustang running since its been sitting for close to a year. The engine ended up being flooded out (which caused a nice backfire :) )

Well after cleaning the plugs it started up and ran. I noticed I had some gas leaking from the carb right by the linkage so I shut her down pull the carb and saw that both gaskets were dry rotted and cracked, replaced those and it still leaks so im going to rebuild the carb.

After that I check the oil and there was gas mixed in with it so I drained all the oil and it had about a quart of gas in the oil. Could this be from the gas leaking out of the carb and onto the valve cover and seeping into the valve cover? I changed the oil and im gonna go back tonight and see if any more has leaked into the oil. Other than it leaking in from the valve cover how else could it get into the oil? could I have a bad piston ring that is letting it seep by? Wouldnt this let oil into the gas and cause blue smoke? There isnt any blue smoke when it runs. I'll check the compression on all the cylinders tonight too.

• Sponsors (?)

but like maxpower said thats a lot of gas for an engine that only ran about 10 minutes a month. I'll pull the fuel pump while im rebuilding the carb and see if the is any visable damage to it. Im debating if I should rebuild my carb or just buy a new one that I can put on the new engine when Im finshed with it. Right now im running a carter afb and I dont like it. Its hard to tune and it looks dull compared to the rest of the engine.

If you only run the thing for 10 minutes at the time that gas could have been accumulating in the oil for quite some time. When I was a kid in North Dakota we had a VW bug. That thing would get gas in the oil in the winter. I assume it just never got hot enough to evaporate the gas out, and it would build up over time.

Just from my past experience my first guess would be with mdjay.

How did you know there is a quart of gas in the oil? These two will mix readily together.

I suspect whatever gas is in there came from the throttle plate gasket leak you mentioned. You stated you discovered it leaking on the outside, but the same amount or even more could have leaked on the inside and into the intake, and from there......

I just guessetamated that it was about a quart since when I check the oil it was a quart high. Now that I think of it when I pulled the carb there was alot of gas in their. I've pulled the carb and cleaned it before and never had that much gas come out of it and alot went into the intake when i lifted it off , oh ya and the fuel line was disconected.

all right im going back tommrow since I have the day off and im going to take the fuel pump off and check it out and im gonna pull apart the carb and see if it needs a rebuild. If it needs a rebuild im gonna go ahead and switch it from electric choke to manual, the weather here is to up and down for my goofy electric choke. Then i'll check and see if any more gas has gotten into the oil, go get plates for the stang and then start re-wiring the engine so it doesn't look like a spiders nest.

Should be a fun wendsday. I expect many thrown wrenches :D

Electric choke shouldn't be goofy. I live in MN and swear by em. You can't get much crazier in the weather department than here.

If your fuel pump is bad, you won't be able to tell by looking at it. They are cheap enough, just buy a new one.