Gas Tank Setup

86lxhatch

Nov 14, 2011
East Tennessee
I'm going to install my new gas tank this weekend. I checked the price to have my old tank prof. cleaned, and it was the same price as a new one. So I was wondering:

1) The new tank will have a bottom sump welded on it tomorrow. I'm going to use an external holley in line fuel pump. What should I use to close the factory opening in the top where the old "in-tank" pump was?

2) also, I'm not using the fume recovery lines anymore-they are unrepairable-so how should I vent the tank?

3) can I use the existing wiring for my old electric in tank pump to power my new pump?

Thanks again guys

• Sponsors (?)

Do not attempt to leave the EFI computer in place in an attempt to control either the electric fuel pump or ignition. Doing so qualifies you for the “Road Kill Mechanics Award”.

You will need to add a relay & switch and wire in the existing inertia switch for an external low pressure electric fuel pump. Do not try to wire the fuel pump without the relay. The 15-20 amps the pump pulls will overload the circuit. This will take power away from other items on the same circuit or cause the fuse or fuse link to blow. You can use the existing wire to connect to the fuel pump.

fuel-pump-relay-for-carbd-cars-gif.50041

Thanks Jr for the diagram. I'll be doing that. I've decided to hold off on the tank sump until I get more info. and think about it some. I found a sump pick up tube assy. for 100 bucks on summitt.com It fits into the existing opening in the top of the tank. Can I still run the holley blue/red pump, or do I need to make accommodations as far as fuel pump psi to compensate for the pick up tube?

Carbs work best with fuel pressure in the 4-6 PSI range. As long as your pump operates in that range, you are good to go.