Gas tank?

Alright look.........I have NO idea WHY my gas gauge doesn't work, but it doesn't. It's been like that since I got it. Here's my question, and BOY do I need some help here b/c any sort of miscalculation and I'm stranded on the side of the road and late for my hot date (you know what I'm sayin )? How many gallons does the old fox body tank hold? I'm fillin' up after my temporary odometer reads around 130 miles, and I'm just curious as to how far I can run it before it's time to fill up again.

Thanks.

All fox bodies are 15 or 15.5 gallons I believe. I wouldn't drive over 150 miles without a gas gauge if I were you. That number should keep you safe. My h/c/i car is sucking the gas right now though. She needs a tune and something to get her to operating temp bad.

:Word:

I've been living by the 150-mile rule of thumb in my Notch, since the gas gauge has eternally read wayyyyyy above full from the very day that I first filled it up. I have a brand new sending unit sitting in my closet, I'm just waiting for the fuel pump to die someday so that I have a real reason to go dropping the tank and fooling around with that whole mess.

I've gone as far as 175 miles on a tank before refueling, but I was sweating bullets the whole time and hoping it wouldn't run dry. For me, 150 miles usually equals about 6 or 7 gallons, so roughly 1/2 tank ... although you'll never catch me trying to push that thing to 250 miles or so, at least not until I get the speedo to read more accurately and, again, I get off my lazy arse and change out the sending unit.

Could also just be a bad connection - corroded contacts or wire broken/grounding out/pinched/whatever - or the far less likely chance that the gauge cluster is bad. Usually, in most cases, it's just the sending unit.

I would take 2 jackstands, put them under the gas tank, undo the 2 strap bolts, and lower the tank down just a few inches so you can see the wiring harness on the back side of the gas tank. when i took my tank out, mine had all kinds of gunk on it, and it took a while to clean off. if yours looks anything like mine did, i wouldnt doubt that would be your problem.

View attachment 384141

View attachment 384142