• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Gauge Cluster Needles Wrong

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nemethjames1
  • Start date Start date May 15, 2016
N

Nemethjames1

Member
May 15, 2016
76
6
8
May 15, 2016
#1
  • May 15, 2016
  • #1
I bought my first mustang in 12 years. A 2004 gt 5psd all stock but flowmasters.

I always have noticed the temp gauge reading too low, and the speedo being 6mph fast. It had glow gauges installed on it but they did not work so I took them. in order to install it, the needles had to be removed and I they weren't put back in right spot.
I did the hold the trip meter while the key on, and the digital temp and speedo readout is accurate on everything. I didn't take the needles off to remove the glow gauge light plastic board, I just cut it off with scissors.

My question is, is there a way to take the needles back off and put them in right position. Temp gauge is the only one I really want accurate the most, altho not very helpful stock, thanks!
 
N

Nemethjames1

Member
May 15, 2016
76
6
8
May 16, 2016
#2
  • May 16, 2016
  • #2
Has anyone had any experience with installing the gauge needles without knowing original position?
 
N

Nemethjames1

Member
May 15, 2016
76
6
8
May 18, 2016
#3
  • May 18, 2016
  • #3
As I have take. Apart a lot of things for repair or cleaning, i would love to fix the needles asap before I assemble everything.

No one has a clue on a way to set the needles properly??? I have been searching for hours. I found ways for Hondas and others but seems different procedure
 

Az Pete

10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
711
18
49
Panama City, Fl.
May 18, 2016
#4
  • May 18, 2016
  • #4
Just some thoughts....the gauges seem to have a set location when the car is off. I would look at that for a start....maybe look at another car as a starting point. Then do the gauge test thru the odometer and see if they do a full sweep and after that, see if the digital readout in the odometer test matches the needle position of each one.
 
N

Nemethjames1

Member
May 15, 2016
76
6
8
May 19, 2016
#5
  • May 19, 2016
  • #5
You know what Pete that's a damn good idea!!! Thank you soooo much!!! That is a great starting point! Move them around until the sweep shows needles reaching ther peaks! Thank you
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

C
Electrical Fuel Gauge...Help! What did I do or Didn't Do?
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • Sep 3, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
168
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 3, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
Z
Right side of cluster not illuminating 91 LX Hatch
  • Zeke1995
  • Jul 21, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
172
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 21, 2025
General karthief
Progress Thread Sask84gt's 84 GT - Questions and Progress Thread
  • Sask84gt
  • Oct 13, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
22
Views
820
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 6, 2026
Sask84gt
J
'96 Cobra: A/C gets weak and engine misfires under load when warm
  • jruhnke
  • Oct 22, 2025
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
2
Views
389
SVT Tech Forum Nov 20, 2025
nickyb
A
Blow through intercooled questions
  • AngryH58
  • Aug 31, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
180
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 1, 2026
AngryH58
A
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?