gear change and vibration

gpp

Jul 3, 2005
took the richmond 4.10 gears out and put in 3.73 from ford.whine is gone but the same vibration at 45 to 60 or so is still there so i dont think its the gears. any ideas as to what it could be.

• Sponsors (?)

I would have the driveshaft re-balanced, or do it myself with washers, as stated in another post.

Think about it. With the factory gears the shaft was spinning like what, maybe 2500 RPM at 65MPH? with higher gears the shaft will spin faster. From the factory the shaft is balanced only to a certain speed, because when they balance it they only expect it to turn so many RPM's with factory gears.

When you change gears you change the shaft revolutions, and the shaft isn't properly balanced to the RPM's you are now spinning it with the new gears.

The perfered way would be to remove the shaft and have a reputable shop balance it, but i have read many posts here where guys are using washers under the bolt heads to balance it.

just my .02

where did you put the washers? I was thinking of starting with putting the washers 180 degreees from the weight on the driveshaft. Where did you guys find success? Ford racing gears 4.10.

the article i read said the hose clamps are too heavy although its hard to believe.but since doing it his way worked i would do it his way.the fifth bolt hole ended up as my sweet spot.