Gear drive on a fox???

superslothguy

Apr 1, 2005
has anyone done a gear drive setup on there car? i will be doing a cam swap soon and was thinking of ditching the timing chain. i noticed it says "minior machine work may be needed" What dose this mean cause i wanted to leave the engine in the car lol
so if anyone has done this please give me some info and tips and pictures if you have any? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Try a search for gear drive if you haven't already. I remember searching for that a few months ago to see if anyone had done it, and found enough info. to convince me to not do it. I love the sound of them, but hate the idea of pulling the damn timing cover to do it. :)

Although sometimes the search function has been known to not work well, I just checked to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, and saw several threads debating gear versus chain, pros/cons, etc.

This topic comes up at least once a month (lately) so there is plenty of information availalbe to read up on. But the cliff notes version is this:

1) They are as loud as a S/C. No more trouble shooting rocker ticks or detonation. You won't beable to hear very much under the hood

2) The solid connection between the crank and cam will transmit more vibrations / harshness through the cam and effect bearing life.

Now, I have run a gear drive before. It was cool for about 1 month and then it wore out. Spend that money on a good timing chain or go to a belt drive.