• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

gear question

  • Thread starter Thread starter alex95621
  • Start date Start date Nov 4, 2004
A

alex95621

New Member
Sep 6, 2004
32
0
0
Nov 4, 2004
#1
  • Nov 4, 2004
  • #1
hi, ok I have a question about gears, I want to get 3.73's and i'm wondering if it matters what i get. Like if i buy used ones outta an old truck or old mustang that are factory ones or if i buy racing ones or what. And do i need 31 spline axels or will the stock setup support 3.73's
 

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
20+ Year Stangneter
Aug 10, 2002
9,457
1,377
234
Ontario, Canada
Nov 4, 2004
#2
  • Nov 4, 2004
  • #2
As long as they're for an 8.8 rear end they'll work fine. They can be used with either 28-spline or 31-spline axles, but the 28-spline axles will be fine for most applications. Some will tell you not to use used gears, but I've done it several times in the past, with no issues.
 
S

SlowGT

Founding Member
Jun 17, 1999
826
0
0
Columbia Co, PA
Nov 4, 2004
#3
  • Nov 4, 2004
  • #3
The used gears should be fine as long as they're out of a factory ford setup. I'm not sure I'd go for used aftermarket gears. All of the factory and FMS gears can be installed with your factory shims. I've seen 3 different guys running FMS gears pull out the trak-loc and put in a spool and all they did was change the ring gear. No indicators, no paste. Maybe they were just lucky. I'm sure there's got to be others out there that do it, too. I haven't used an indicator on any of the last 5 gear changes using FMS gears. Only paste to get an eye on the mesh. Reused the factory shims with the new gears and everything was fine. So far, so good. I don't know for sure how many miles these guys have accumulated, but I'd guess they're over 40k between the bunch of them.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
P
Vacuum
  • ProTechAutoServices
  • Aug 1, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
13
Views
258
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 2, 2026
Noobz347
A
Blow through intercooled questions
  • AngryH58
  • Aug 31, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
185
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 1, 2026
AngryH58
A
Drivetrain 5th Gear Ratio
  • PonyGTrider
  • Dec 8, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
33
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Dec 31, 2025
Qtrhrse23
Rear diff rebuild opinions
  • MrPerfect2
  • Oct 30, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
249
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Oct 31, 2025
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?