GEARS...Technical Question

96STANGVERT

Jul 13, 2004
I am ready to purchase Ford racing 3.73 gear set which includes pinion nut and shims. Other than a speedcal, and gear lube, is there anything else i might need? The car is a 96 GT convertible 5spd with 47,000 miles.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeap friction modifier, gear oil, install kit or a master bearing kit. Side note mine only had 20K on it and I did the bearing kit was only 60bucks more and it beats tearing it apart again in a year or 2 to do those. IMO

what is a friction modifier and where do i find it? and what is contained in an install kit? also i thought dallas mustang had speedcal's but i cant seem to find them anymore, if someone knows where to find them i would greatly appreciate it.

Good gear lube has frictino modifier in it all ready. Double check.

How long before soemone comes in and tells this guy he's wasting his money on anything less than 4.10's?

You probably don't need bearings at 47,000 miles, but ifyou have the money they aren't very expensive to get new ones and since it'll be apart for the install, there's no time like the present to change them. You could also look at the traction-lok rebuild if you think you might want to do it since it's apart. It's like $90 bucks or less I think.

tjm73 said:
Good gear lube has frictino modifier in it all ready. Double check.

Yes definately double check. There may be some manufactured lubes out there that already have it in there, but most that I have seen don't and how can you be sure that there is enough, according to spec, in the lube that has it?

I believe Ford reccomends 4oz. and they usually sell it for $3-$5.

96STANGVERT said:
what is a friction modifier and where do i find it? and what is contained in an install kit? also i thought dallas mustang had speedcal's but i cant seem to find them anymore, if someone knows where to find them i would greatly appreciate it.

SpeedCal: http://www.brothersperformance.com/shop/mustang/brospeedcal.html

Install kit:
I think it includes bearings, shims (you will already have those), pinion nut, crush sleeve, and flange seal.

You'll need shims, pinion seal, crush sleeve, and probably will want to do axle seals as well, and a bottle of friction modifier won't hurt, even if the lube you buy states for limited slip.

Friction Modifier is available at any parts store, usually 3-7 bucks a 4oz bottle. Remember you'll have to do an oil change for after break in, so buy an additional bottle for then as well.

47k, you probably don't need bearings, but they're cheap and easy while your in there. Most of you major gear distributors will have complete master overhaul kits with bearings, shims, seals, ring gear bolts, gear marking compund, etc.

ok, so if i buy gears from Ford Racing, will that kit include crush sleeve, bearings, flange seal shims and pinion nut? Also, the gear oil, i have heard people reccomend that brand purple or something, does that have friction modifier?

96STANGVERT said:
ok, so if i buy gears from Ford Racing, will that kit include crush sleeve, bearings, flange seal shims and pinion nut? Also, the gear oil, i have heard people reccomend that brand purple or something, does that have friction modifier?

Been so long since I bought mine (they're still in the box... life happens) but I think all the gears come with is ring, pinion and shims. I think the other stuff is sold in an "installation kit".

I don't believe the Ford Racing Gears come with any kind of install kit. (Dana gears do, but I know we buy the gears bare)

Royal Purple can be ran with the posi, and you probably wont' need additive. If the posi chatters too much, then you can always add later.

Don't forget that you'll need some specialty tools as well. Dial guage indicator, some calipers, torque wrenches, and access to a press.

Little Red Zuk said:
Remember you'll have to do an oil change for after break in, so buy an additional bottle for then as well.

This is not really needed. Brand new cars dont get it. None of my cars have ever got it and none of my Brother's, Father's, Uncle's restored/hot rodded car's have got it. Nor anyone else's I personally know. It's unneeded maintenance.

My M-4209-F373N gears came with a shim-pack for the pinion, a new pinion nut and a new crush collar and that was it.

I sprung for a 4210-B installation kit which includes bearings and races, shims (incl carrier shims), new ring gear bolts, crush collar, pinion seal and a pinion nut. I also got some gear oil and FRPP friction modifier.

I haven't actually had it installed yet but when the time comes, I think I'll have all the parts covered.

BTW, the shop manual states that the rear requires 75W140 but stupidly, before checking, I ended up buying 80W90 gear oil. Can I use this or do I need to go to the 75W140 instead?

trinity_gt said:
My M-4209-F373N gears came with a shim-pack for the pinion, a new pinion nut and a new crush collar and that was it.

I sprung for a 4210-B installation kit which includes bearings and races, shims (incl carrier shims), new ring gear bolts, crush collar, pinion seal and a pinion nut. I also got some gear oil and FRPP friction modifier.

I haven't actually had it installed yet but when the time comes, I think I'll have all the parts covered.

BTW, the shop manual states that the rear requires 75W140 but stupidly, before checking, I ended up buying 80W90 gear oil. Can I use this or do I need to go to the 75W140 instead?

Where did you buy the install kit?

ok i searched on www.gefracing.com and here is what i found that i need, let me know if this is everything for a 96 GT 5spd with 47,000 miles

INSTALL KIT
-Pinion
-carrier shims
-crush sleeve
-pinion seal
-pinion nut
-ring gear bolts
-cover gasket

FORD RACING 3.73 GEAR SET
-8.8" Ring gear & pinion

SPEEDCAL

GEAR OIL
-royal purple

What type of gear oil should i use 75w140 or 75w90

Jinx102672 said:
Yes definately double check. There may be some manufactured lubes out there that already have it in there, but most that I have seen don't and how can you be sure that there is enough, according to spec, in the lube that has it?

I believe Ford reccomends 4oz. and they usually sell it for $3-$5.
is a friection modifier a MUST???
and do STOCK mustangs already come with a friection modifier in stock gears ??????